Question 2 CPU's died on me in the span of a couple hours. Help needed!

Jul 14, 2019
Okay, this is a sad post. I'm an avid pc builder, who buys parts used and flips PC's.

Was having a great week. Had an i7 4790k paired with a z97 board and
an i5 4460 with an h81 mini itx board. I was testing a faulty gpu in my z97 board and downloading drivers for it with the igpu. Suddenly my PC shuts off, and won't boot. Think nothing of it, go back to work on my laptop for the time being. After a while, I hooked up the H81 board to test some benchmarks. Ran fine, booted fine and everything, shut it off to put in a gpu (hd 7950, faulty btw). Turns on but doesn't post because of the card. Take it out, and now my 4460 also isn't working. In my z97 board, both cpus make weird electric noises and don't do anything. In my h81 board, both cpus spin for 2 seconds and then stop completely. Tested a different psu, same issue. So I hooked up a working computer to my psu (thermaltake 750w gold unit, very good) and it worked flawlessly.

Yesterday I bought a new 1150 board, hoping it's that. To no avail, same result. I've tried everything, different PSU's, different ram, different slots for ram, no gpu, with gpu. I really don't think my 7950 (that works only in 8x slots for some reason) killed the cpus. Same with my psu. I'm tech savvy, but now I'm desperate. Cause it's looking like 200€ down the drain. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2019
Man I'll just tell you this right now. I don't know why your pc won't boot but I highly doubt the cpu is dead. a GPU can't kill a CPU. It's impossible even if one or the other is faulty.
Exactly, but I've tried every other avenue lol. It's not the gpu, and it works in an 8x slot. Both cpus died, and I can't get them to work.