2 Dead GPUs

farnsy

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

In the last week i've lost 2 GTX780s. I purchased the first one new about 3 years ago, and the second I purchased second hand a couple of days ago to replace the first.

In both instances I was in the middle of gameplay when the screen froze for a few seconds, then cut to a grey screened system lock. I can still get output through the cards, but only with the basic microsoft driver, and there is artifacting on darker areas of the screen (small blue squares).

System specs are:
Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero (2 months old)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB (2 months old)
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700 (2 months old)
PSU: 850W Cooler Power (6 years old)

My guess is maybe the PSU failing?

Any ideas would be appreciated,
Cheers!

farnsy

Prominent
May 27, 2017

The model of the PSU is P4N9-N

RifTDEw.jpg

farnsy

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Thanks for the reply, appreciate you taking the time.

How can you tell it's fake?

First thing is that the 850W number is given as peak output, not continuous. You'll note that 729W+21W = 750W. Not exactly fake, but highly highly misleading.

Almost all your current draw is at 12V, so everything else is of lesser importance. More than about a 50W difference between +12V rating and total rating means they're trying to get every watt they can out of it, not rating it realistically.

Cooler Power isn't a well known brand, but sounds kind of like Cooler Master.

AC input is given as 115/230V, not something like 100-240V. So it's probably got a selector switch, which means no active PFC. Not too bad in itself, just cheap.

No 80Plus rating. Again, cheap.

farnsy

Prominent
May 27, 2017

As much as I hate burning money, at least i've learned something.

Thanks again!