[SOLVED] 2 defective GPUs in a row, not sure what to do

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
Hi everyone i had ordered a gpu from this store out of town and after it started having some kind of problem with the fan and ultimately dying, I returned it. Of course by return i mean send it back to them via courier, which i paid for myself (10€). They gave me its full price in store credit since they didn't have any more of them. After coughing up another 170€ plus the store credit I had, i ordered another brand new gpu from them, a gigabyte 1660 super oc 6gb, windforce model. Of course i paid another 10€ again in shipping to receive it. After 3 days of use, the fan started rattling again, and after closer inspection I realized that one of the screws holding the fan together is defective, it's loose and it can't tighten fully, just keeps spinning on after a point. Now as you can understand my frustration with this store cannot be overstated, as if I were to return it again they'd ask me to pay all shipping fees once more, that's 20€ more, to send it, and to receive it repaired or whatever. Screw that, they're gonna have to fight me before I pay my a** off again in shipping for the second broken card in a row. Now I've already sent a message to gigabyte tech support, see what they have to say about it. I described both what my problem with the gpu and what my experience with the store has been in full detail. I just sent it today so i haven't received an answer yet. I was wondering what your thoughts on this are, do you think it's something Gigabyte themselves could do about? Maybe have it checked without me spending another fortune in shipping? Here's hoping

Solution
Wait for the response from Gigabyte and determine if something can be worked out accordingly.

In the meantime, try to assess the GPU and ensure that it is genuine. Re: "store out of town" - what store/seller/source?

There is likely some straightforward way to fix a loose screw - much as if the screw had stripped the hole or the screw was the wrong size/thread.

Those solutions would be my last resort effort only if I could not get a working GPU or a refund.

Add a couple of photographs showing the GPU and the fan's loose screw.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Good chance that someone here has already come up with an applicable and viable (for you) fix.

Ralston18

Titan
Wait for the response from Gigabyte and determine if something can be worked out accordingly.

In the meantime, try to assess the GPU and ensure that it is genuine. Re: "store out of town" - what store/seller/source?

There is likely some straightforward way to fix a loose screw - much as if the screw had stripped the hole or the screw was the wrong size/thread.

Those solutions would be my last resort effort only if I could not get a working GPU or a refund.

Add a couple of photographs showing the GPU and the fan's loose screw.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Good chance that someone here has already come up with an applicable and viable (for you) fix.

Solution