2 different external IP address for same network

Juan Riend

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
Hey everyone,

I have 2 computers connected to the same network and I need them to show different external IP address, I was told that I needed to connect a switch to the router and the computers to the switch, I already did that but when going to websites that check my IP address, they all show the same IP for both computers.

Im not too savvy when it comes to network, and as far I know is that I didnt need to modify anything so my switch would do all the job. Is there something im doing wrong? Or something that im not doing?

Solution
If the tech at your ISP told you a switch would provide two external IP addresses, he is absolutely clueless. All he wanted to do is get you off the phone.

modem/router -> switch -> devices
The modem is what talks to the outside world with 1 specific IP address (residential accounts).
The router is what passes out, via DHCP, internal IP addresses. ex. 192.168.1.xxx.

You can get multiple external addresses, but it will cost. Ask your ISP sales dept.

Not to be nosy, but what site is restricting 1 IP address per account?

Juan Riend

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
Its 2 of us living on the same house and obviously sharing the network, but there is this website which will only allow us to have 1 account per external IP address. Hence why I need different IP address for each computer. Im reading now about the vpn proxy and see how that helps me.

Depends on your ISP. Mine and my modem will give out up to 8, so if I hookup my modem directly to a simple 10 port switch, 8 of those ports will give out a unique external IP, in which then each connection of that switch could go directly to a PC or to a router to then route that particular IP to all the PC's under that router. I do have a business class internet connection for my home though, so that may not be an option on home level ones and again, will depend on your ISP. Some charge a few extra bucks a month for an extra IP and some don't do it all.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Call your IP Provider back and have then clarify, "that switch statement again".
Explain that 2 you two computers and each computer needs to be seen on World Wide Web as each having it own Public IP.

USAFRet

Titan
If the tech at your ISP told you a switch would provide two external IP addresses, he is absolutely clueless. All he wanted to do is get you off the phone.

modem/router -> switch -> devices
The modem is what talks to the outside world with 1 specific IP address (residential accounts).
The router is what passes out, via DHCP, internal IP addresses. ex. 192.168.1.xxx.

You can get multiple external addresses, but it will cost. Ask your ISP sales dept.

Not to be nosy, but what site is restricting 1 IP address per account?

Solution

Question is how can they limit any account based on an IP address unless you have a static IP, which is usually only available through a business account. Typically your IP address changes once a day for consumer internet accounts.

choucove

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
This is kind of a curious one. As others have mentioned here, if you want to get more than one external IP address, you have to do so through your internet provider, and usually it is a monthly fee. You may also need to set up a different modem or routers, as sometimes the "base" model is built only as a simple gateway for a single IP address.

Here's the other problem. Just getting two static IP addresses won't really fix your issue. In generally, when you're setting up two separate external IP addresses you have to set up your router to forward all traffic for one of those IP addresses to one specific target (computer1) and all traffic for the other IP address to another specific target (computer2) otherwise nothing really knows the difference between those two IP addresses. Again this will require something more than your standard modem or router.

kez1304

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Solutions:

1) Proxifier + free socks4/socks5 proxies = Different external IP addresses on each machine/VM running proxifier.

2) VPN's will also do the trick.

3) If you can't be bothered to do either of those, you can use a web based, HTTP proxy (such as hidemyass.com, or something similar [although this won't necessarily solve your situation, as someone else might still be using the same service]).
NOTE: This method is ONLY an HTTP proxy. Any other protocols WILL NOT be forwarded through the proxy, and will show up with your ISP provided external (public) IP address.

Using the first two methods will work with any kind of outbound or inbound TCP/IP connection, and therefore will change your external (public) IP for any website/application that uses the internet.

Hope this helps!