2 Different Gaming PC Builds

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I have two builds, one cheap that's design to run the GTX1070 and a more expensive one that is nicer but is designed to run a 1060 and have room for upgrades.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QHnW4C

This is a cheaper build,

and this

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/XdDrD8

is fancier. Because of budget limitations I can only afford the previous one if I get a 1060 instead of a 1070. I was thinking about getting this 1060 build now, and in 2 or so years upgrading to a new gen card so my question is:
In around 2 years or so will this build be compatible with new gen crads? Since because it doesnt have a 1070 it wont last as long I want to be able to upgrade it. The other build is good but has a much wekaer PC so the actual components wont last as long? I also am not playing to many hard games, mostly overwatch and steam games, So i dont need an absurd amount of power.
I am also planning on getting a 1440hz monitor that I figure will be good with this build then when I upgrade to a new gen itll be able to keep running at great quality? Any opinions are greatly desired.

Solution
With an overclockable CPU, it may last a little longer. Also remember a GTX1060 is still a powerful card, so I don't see why you should worry about trying to future proof. Another note, the stock intel coolers are generally very good at cooling, so if budget is a concern, get a cooler a bit later on when you see a need for one.

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016
Damn, that 1,440hz monitor. Just kidding, I know its a typo. I would get the 1070 with the i5-6500 because the 1070 will last a lot longer. The i5-6600k is only worth it if you play cpu-intensive games like Overwatch or want to overclock, but the i5-6500 will do just fine.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

But If I go with the 6500k i could overclock the 1060 as well as whatever card I get next, and I plan on playing alot of Overwatch?
It seems like the second build would last alot longer?

bmw-vision

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
With an overclockable CPU, it may last a little longer. Also remember a GTX1060 is still a powerful card, so I don't see why you should worry about trying to future proof. Another note, the stock intel coolers are generally very good at cooling, so if budget is a concern, get a cooler a bit later on when you see a need for one.

Solution

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I am not super worried about future proofing, however in a few years when the quality is declining I would like the option of upgrading the gpu once and extending the life by another 3 or so years. I figured that sacrificing a little power now with the 1060 is a better long term investment?

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I know that the 1060 is strong, but is a 1440 to strong for the card? How much will I need to lower graphics? Will new games like skyrim HD play to low? How will games like over watch and steam games play?

bmw-vision

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
A friend of mine has a 980 connected to a 144hz monitor and it basically runs everything on ultra. So it shouldn't have much problems given they are about the same performance. Besides, I have an overclocked monitor to 75hz (Not recommended) and you definitely notice a difference.

I suppose its not a big point, but what I'm trying to say is it might be worth considering.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I am planning to go with one, thank you for advice. Any recommendations for 24-27" ones?

TRENDING THREADS