Question 2 different kinds of RAM

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
Hello, i think i just made a mistake. i bought a pc. and after a month later i wanted to upgrade it. so i bought a new ramstick. everyone told me. ''Make sure to get the same MHZ''

so i did. here's the problem.

i currently use the Crucial DDR4 8GB Ram 1.2V 2666MHZ with CAS Latency19

and i recently bought HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4 1.2 V 2666MHZ CAS Latency 16

im recieving it tommorow. but will it work. im kinda afraid that if i put it in my pc will break or something. i only have basic pc knowledge and never knew CAS Latency was a thing aswell. both use the same ammount of Volts and have the same 2666Mhz. only the latency is different. i tried to google about this but cant really find any solid answers. if anyone could help me out here i would appriciate it alot.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It certainly wont break anything. However mixing RAM sticks that weren't packaged together even with the same speed and timings can be hit or miss.

Like said above it will probably work. You may need to manually set 2666mhz and the primary timings CL19-19-19-43 or whatever the rest of the primary timings for that crucial stick are.

Reactions: ChickenCatch

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
thanks for the reply's guys. appriciate it. yea i know it would be better to get two identical sticks but it had a delivery time between 1-2 weeks. and the HyperX was order before 23:00 get it the next day. but ill keep it in mind for next time. anyways thanks alot ^^

Reactions: Diddly

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
Hey everyone, im back. and first things first.

It works. i think. when i open DxDiag it says i have 16GB Ram. when i do ''properties'' on '',my pc'' it says 16GB Ram even CPU-Z says i have 16GB ram. but when i go to ''can you run it'' it keeps saying i have only 6 GB Ram. ive tried to re-run the ''dectection.exe'' but it doesnt update for some reason and keeps saying i only have 6GB ram.

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
Try running a web browser with lots of tabs open, plus say a game and other applications. You should be able to push over 8gb.
well, i did mange to hit ''assigned 8,6GB '' but with Albion Online open League Of Legends i coulndt get it higher than 7Gb i suppose running Left 4 Dead 2 aswell would increase it over 8GB and i have 9 tabs open with youtube playing xD