2 different os to 5tb external harddrive

Vampyr

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Hi everyone!

I have a storage problem. I have 1 ssd for system (windows 10) 1 ssd for applications such as Maya, Substance Painter, Sketchup etc. 1 HDD for outputs such as .skp, .ma, .jpeg etc etc and 1 hdd for assets such as fbx files 3ds files. So i have brother who have a laptop but powerful so we are planing to move him to my computer so he can play his games while i work or remote work with my laptop. So i planning to buy 5tb expansion from Seagate but i wonder if i use 2.5 for my brother (c:/ windows d:/ games) and rest for kali linux ( system / files ). I heard kali linux is not drain memory as windows 10. My question is can i partitioning a external hard drive for windows and linux at same time? Or should i buy separate hard drives so thats mean 2TB for linux 2TB for my brother's windows 10 but am i will able to boot 3 OS? SSD for main system first Seagate for linux and second seagate for my brother's windows 10.

My system - msi x370 sli plus, gtx 1080, 16gb corsair, amd 1800x

Thank you!

austintx1985

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
You cannot run 2 operating systems at the same time on the same PC without the use of virtualization software (e.g. VMWare). The only way to have more than 1 operating system on the same drive is to have separate partitions on it, each of which is independent of the other. You can have as many OSes as you want, but you will only be able to boot to one at a time, regardless if they are on other drives or not. Hope this answers your questions.

Vampyr

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

Thank you for your answer austintx1985, i have poor English, this could be issue. I tried to explain that i have windows 10 on my pc so i will buy 5tb drive and partition to 2 drive so 1 drive for windows 10 and 1 for linux. Whenever i need to linux i will reboot my pc and boot from expansion drive partition1. So when my work done with linux i will reboot system and boot from main 1 ssd. When my brother will play game he will boot from expansion drive partition 2. Right?