2 Different Video Cards, non SLI or Crossfire

janteby

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Hello,

Basically I want to be able to have 4 monitors for Quad display & still have the power for gaming so rather than buy 2 new video cards (of the same type) just buy 1 new one & keep the other that I have.

I have the Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard & currently have the Gforce 6800 Video card. I want to upgrade the Video card & also still keep the Gforce 6800 card in there moving it to the slower 4x PCI Express slot & then put the new card in the 16x PCI Express card to use that one for gaming & still have Quad monitors.

1st question is can I put 2 different cards in (note again not using SLI or Crossfire) ?

2nd question is since 1 card would be faster than the other when it comes to the gaming will it use the faster card for the gaming ? If this can be done are their settings I need to set/change ?

I hope I explained what I am looking for & any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
You should be able to do it yes, but if i were you i'd stick with nvidia cards to avoid driver conflicts. I havn't tried a setup like this before, but i believe it should work fine.

To make sure your games play off the new card make sure that your main monitor (the one with the windows bar at the bottom and start menu) is on the new graphics card's dvi/vga port, and it should work fine, although with the other monitors active you may not be able to scroll the view my moving the mouse to the edge of the screen as it may go to another window, but i'm not 100% sure on how it would work, and i think it may vary by game, but i am not certain.