Question 2 Dimm Slots not working.. Dark Hero Motherboard 0D

Aug 17, 2022
Yesterday I changed my CPU aio cooler as mine was defective, I changed it without issue. When I tried start my PC up I received the error code 0D..
I removed the CPU, reseated, removed again, check pins, alcohol bath + toothbrush on both CPU and socket

I checked the ram, all ramsticks work fine in the last two DIMM Slots but the first two will not work what so ever. This leads me to believe the ram is working correctly and these two slots are faulty.

I can run the last two sticks in XMP without problem or crashes. Can't run the sticks in any other configuration other than the two furthest slots away from the CPU.

I really can't afford another motherboard right now, so I'm hoping no serious damage has been done.

I'm ripping my hair out, I have taken a look at the ram and CPU so many times.

Aug 17, 2022
Yesterday I changed my CPU aio cooler as mine was defective, I changed it without issue. When I tried start my PC up I received the error code 0D..
I removed the CPU, reseated, removed again, check pins, alcohol bath + toothbrush on both CPU and socket

I checked the ram, all ramsticks work fine in the last two DIMM Slots but the first two will not work what so ever. This leads me to believe the ram is working correctly and these two slots are faulty.

I can run the last two sticks in XMP without problem or crashes. Can't run the sticks in any other configuration other than the two furthest slots away from the CPU.

I really can't afford another motherboard right now, so I'm hoping no serious damage has been done.

I feel like this isn't a CPU issue because the CPU was never removed, the cooler I'm using is a replacement so I didn't need to remove the CPU as the backplates were identical, so nothing changed

I'm ripping my hair out, I have taken a look at the ram and CPU so many times.

Tried resetting CMOS, restoring bios to earlier version, prayed, throughougly cleaned

Aug 17, 2022
Tried resetting CMOS, restoring bios to earlier version, prayed, throughougly cleaned

I feel like this isn't a CPU issue because the CPU was never removed, the cooler I'm using is a replacement so I didn't need to remove the CPU as the backplates were identical, so nothing changed

Aug 17, 2022
What is precise model name of the board? That's not a valid model name.

AMD board? Right? Because going with toothbrush on Intel LGA socket would be insane.

Asus Dark Hero VIII
Ryzen 5800x
Gskill 32GB, same kit

Slots B1 and B2 Spit out error code 0d. RAM RGB works when in those slots though so power is still being sent there?

Personally i would pull the cpu and re-seat it just to make sure, especially since amd does not have the retention bracket to old the cpu into the socket. just the slightest suction when pulling the cooler off the cpu could move the cpu in the socket or lifted the pins off the pads.

Reactions: CGSWL
Aug 17, 2022
Make sure your CPU cooler isn't too tight. Sometimes if it is , it slightly warps the board and the closer memory slots won't function.

After reading your comment I took another look and upon further inspection it seems I have scratched my motherboard! I am certain this is the cause of issue now. This scratch is deep, copper deep, but clearly not deep enough to stop my whole system from working, just the B1 and B2 Slots.

The next questions is, how do I repair this motherboard trace? Considering I'm still using and gaming on my PC every day with XMP enabled with ram in A1 and A2 without issue, makes me think it can be repaired? I have found some "conductive trace pens" online, and some people have had luck with fixing their board this way. I'm thinking get a hold of one of these pens.

Aug 17, 2022
Yeah. Broken traces.
You'd need some micro surgery level skills to fix that.

Contacted a few PCB company's, cheapest I have found is £175, most expensive £400.

Think I'm just going to continue using this board with 16GB RAM and upgrade again in the future.

I'll cover the scratch up will nail polish or something.

Thanks for the responses.