2 drives with different OS

extra_g

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
My default drive in my PC is Win10 however I have some older plug in devices that Win10 does not support so I disconnected the Win10 drive and connected a spare drive I had and installed Win7 on it as I only needed it for my scanner at the time.
The time has come that I want to have both drives connected to the PC but am unsure how to go about it. Had I kept the Win10 drive in and installed the Win7 on the spare drive I could have had a dual boot system, however I did not.

1. Is there any way I can install the Win7 drive with the Win10 drive and configurethe PC to be dual boot?

2. If not another idea I had was to have a switch on the PC which I can choose which drive to activate. The switch would have to be a rocker switch so it is either one or the other drive switched and not have both active?

Preferably option 1 is desirable. Help please.

Solution
You certainly can configure a dual boot now. Best to delete one of the boot managers, you wont need them both. Then edit the remaining one so it points to both operating systems. Use the program easyBCD, it is great for this stuff.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I have found the easiest way is to use the boot device manager that the motherboard already has.
in BIOS set your favorite as the default boot device. regular boot brings up your fav OS.
if you need to reboot to the other, reboot and hit the boot menu trigger key (check your motherboard manual) and the motherboard will present you with a list of drives, select the one with alt OS on and it will boot up.

I use same to multiboot windows 10, 7, and linux mint

slingsrat

Honorable
May 31, 2016
You certainly can configure a dual boot now. Best to delete one of the boot managers, you wont need them both. Then edit the remaining one so it points to both operating systems. Use the program easyBCD, it is great for this stuff.

Solution

extra_g

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015

Ok I did not delete any boot manager but what I did do is install easyBCD and now have the option to choose which OS I boot.
There is only one thing and that is in the list of drives it has one named "system reserved", it is a partition belonging to the Windows 7 HHD. Can I somehow delete this drive or at least make it hidden?

USAFRet

Titan

"list of drives"...as in it has a drive letter?
Simply remove that drive letter in Disk Management. Don't delete the actual partition.