2 Gaming PC one System Unit (VIrtualization), How to?

Aug 6, 2018
Components:
i7-8700k
2 Nvdia GTX 1060
4 8 GB RAM
2 Nvme M.2 SSD
2 HDD
2 Monitors
2 Keyboard, Mouse and Headset
Can't find on google a how to? set up this. Heard of limetech and hyper v but can't get a walk through.
Q: How would I load Separate Windows 10 on each SSD simultaneously? with each OS Having one resources of the above.

Solution
Gaming on linux with wine and gaming inside a windows VM are very different.
Wine is trying to run windows programs on linux. VMs are putting virtual hardware into a OS.
You would be running windows with full access to gpu, via passthrough. with the 8700T you would only pull 40W when idle and still be able to run NAS, router, remote, plex, etc.

in this video he's running 7 off one pc. 250fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opX-AsJ5Uy8

the new nvidia grid gpu let you configure vgpu profiles and have good driver support.
the tesla v100 is like 8grand though. these are powering the geforce now stuff.

USAFRet

Titan

Not sure what your question is.
Did you watch the whole thing?

NOTE: It is almost certainly easier and cheaper to build 2 individual systems. Multiseat gaming is more a proof of concept, rather than "Wow, we should all do this!!"

I'd recommend going with proxmox. Both unraid and proxmox are on kvm/qemu.
I've been contemplating this for a while.
The only difficult part is properly doing the PCIE passthrough and adding a virtual sound card. Which has tutorials.
You install proxmox (debian stretch based), create the windows vms(very easy, need two keys), passthrough (pciex16 and 1usb 3.0+hub per), install video driver, install virtual audio (optional).

You cannot power down the vm unless you powerdown the whole machine. you should be able to sleep them (which should pull less power).

If you want to save a lot on power look at the 8700t, the new intels are amazing. it's a 65W 8700 that can downclock to 35W.

If you go with nvidia cards you can also run moonlight on each one and stream locally at very high quality. nvidia shield adds about 3ms latency. i have a pixelbook that supports h265 and it adds 17ms (m/k not working on androidos yet, coming with Pie), h264 adds 70ms on my pixelbook, each client device will be different. i've listed some of the best ones.

I've read about people doing single passthrough very stable. not sure how well two works. I've wanted to try it. Linus 8passthrough machine bsod frequently and I think something bricked too if you watch the after video.

Aug 6, 2018

I watched it fully with a lot of questions left in mind. It's quite complicated. I thought it's ergonomic,cheaper , less silent and less power consumption. Considering the system is powerful enough to run two gaming system. I've been thinking this for a long time. I looked at Vmware and vmbox but it doesn't give you the capability to sleep the main pc and replicate having two stand alone PC.

by stand alone i mean i can boot it by it self, example booting the vm pc without booting the main like linus did. In the video he has his laptop up and didn't said to remove the flashdrive (which is still the first boot)

Aug 6, 2018

I want to run both systems for gaming and gaming on linux is quite not for faint hearted. I've struggle with wine when I am using ubuntu and many games are in bronze(* ver.)

Gaming on linux with wine and gaming inside a windows VM are very different.
Wine is trying to run windows programs on linux. VMs are putting virtual hardware into a OS.
You would be running windows with full access to gpu, via passthrough. with the 8700T you would only pull 40W when idle and still be able to run NAS, router, remote, plex, etc.

in this video he's running 7 off one pc. 250fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opX-AsJ5Uy8

the new nvidia grid gpu let you configure vgpu profiles and have good driver support.
the tesla v100 is like 8grand though. these are powering the geforce now stuff.

Solution
Aug 6, 2018

I have watched the 2 gamers 1 pc and this 7 in 1 enlightens and clears things up for me. Thanks

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Hello, you indicated two key pieces of information in your several posts here.

You have two video cards, and you sometimes run Ubuntu. At least in regard to Ubuntu, setting up multiseat is as simple as one single setup command; two commands in total. You would need to ask your Ubuntu what your videocard addresses are. That command is:

loginctl seat-status seat0

This command will return the information for all of your devices, not just the videocard. Your videocard will contain the information "drm/cardx" (card 0, card 1, card 2, etc) DRM is the X.org Direct Rendering Manager. Your second command will contain the address of your second video card.

loginctl attach seat1 [...drm/card1]

Your actual command will look virtually identical to this:

loginctl attach seat1 /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/0000:02:00.0/drm/card1

To reiterate, your first command is asking what the actual address is. Your second command will tell loginctl to attach to seat1 the videocard at [this address].

Reboot. You should have two login screens when it comes back up. You will need to assign keyboards and mice, but that is a trivial matter once you have seat 1 working.

Note: This is not a virtualized solution. Multiseat is a native configuration option on many Linux distributions.

To undo all seat settings and return all devices back to seat zero issue the following command:

loginctl flush-devices

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/loginctl.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg_multiseat