[SOLVED] 2 GPUs, 1 monitor ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Hey !

So i got a pretty unusual question for You. Here's the thing:

I'm using my RX 6800 XT for mining , but the problem is , that pc is stuttering while drawing new objects on the screen, cuz of 100% GPU power is being used by ETH miner. I'd like to browse the web without stutters if possible, but don't want to stop mining or reduce the mining efficiency, while i'm not playing games.
And then this stupid idea came to my mind...

What if i could install second GPU (GT 640 4gb) in second pci-e 16x slot and plug both graphic cards to the monitor? Then, while mining, i could switch to gt640 (HDMI) to browse the internet, and for games, i could switch back to RX 6800 XT (Display port).
Then i could mine ETH on 1 card and draw graphics from another one, without a need to reinstall the hardware or cables. (So basically i'd like to make software switch between display source)

I know it sounds stupid, but is it even possible? :)

Last edited:
Solution
Any way to resolve it?

I tried it:
  1. Main PCIe 16x -> Aorus 6800 xt conected via display port cable
  2. second PCIe 8/16x -> Geforce GT640
Result:
Screen working on GF640 via hdmi, RX6800xt has a conflict in device manager and doesn't shop up in the system.
I have never tried. I have just seen frustrated people having driver problems and know it isn't worth the trouble.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey !

So i got a pretty unusual question for You. Here's the thing:

I'm using my RX 6800 XT for mining , but the problem is , that pc is stuttering while drawing new objects on the screen, cuz of 100% GPU power is being used by ETH miner. I'd like to browse the web without stutters if possible, but don't want to stop mining or reduce the mining efficiency, while i'm not playing games.
And then this stupid idea came to my mind...

What if i could install second GPU (GT 640 4gb) in second pci-e 16x slot and plug both graphic cards to the monitor? Then, while mining, i could switch to gt640 (HDMI) to browse the internet, and for games, i could switch back to RX 6800 XT (Display port).
Then i could mine ETH on 1 card and draw graphics from another one, without a need to reinstall the hardware or cables. (So basically i'd like to make software switch between display source)

I know it sounds stupid, but is it even possible? :)
Usually the problem is conflicting drivers. AMD for the 6800 and NVIDIA for the 640.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Any way to resolve it?

I tried it:
Result:
Screen working on GF640 via hdmi, RX6800xt has a conflict in device manager and doesn't shop up in the system.

kanewolf

Titan
Any way to resolve it?

I tried it:
Result:
I have never tried. I have just seen frustrated people having driver problems and know it isn't worth the trouble.

Reactions: maziech
Solution