2 GPU's in one PCI-E slot

QuackDuck

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
My PC only has 1 PCI-E slot, and I had wanted to add in two GPUs for AMD CrossFire, or maybe NVIDIA SLI, depending on which manufacturer I choose. Can I use this to help me with my setup?

www.amazon.com/Supermicro-RSC-R2UT-2E8R-RISER-PASSIVE-2-PCIE/dp/B0037KAE2O/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462499726&sr=1-2&keywords=supermicro+pcie+riser

Thanks! :)

P.S. I do already have a nice power supply for the two GPU's.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
No that will not work.

First off the BIOS of the board will not support SLI or Crossfire so even if you got 2 cards in there it would not work. Secondly even if it did work the slots are too close together to fit 2 cards. Also you would need a special case just to hold them safely and them be accessible.

Its cheaper and better just to buy a new motherboard.

QuackDuck

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

I know that it would be better to just buy a new mobo, but Dell uses these weird proprietary motherboards in the OptiPlex 755 SFF. What if I were to use some PCI-E riser cables that I have sitting around, to hook up the GPU's to the splitter. And then use an AMD and a GeForce so I have something to offload PhysX onto. Could this work?

BTW, I have used those riser cables on GPU's before, and they work fine. Dust also should not be an issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Riser cables do generally work fine. You cannot use a PhysiX card with a AMD card, as the two sets of drivers can't co-exist. You could probably do it with 2 Nvidia cards I would imagine it could work. Assuming of course you also get a better power supply. Your computer will be a Frankenstein as if you have an SFF case you won;t be able to fit a PSU that can handle the 2 cards (or any good card for that matter).

Solution

QuackDuck

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

Okay, I will look into doing this. Thank you!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Actually the two sets of drivers can co exist, it doesnt work because nvidia intentionally stopped it from working when using a AMD primary GPU.