[SOLVED] 2 gpus on 2 different power supplies, same motherboard?

Feb 24, 2021
I got a Ggb Z390 aorus pro motherboard with 2 gpu slots, in 1 currently is a 2080Ti. The entire system is hooked up to a cooler master 750W Gold.
Now I'm wondering is it possible to put a 3090 in my second slot and hook it up to, say a cooler master 550W ? Or am I going to fry my pc?
For anyone wondering I'm going to mine full time on the 3090 and alsoon the 2080ti when I'm not gaming.

Cheers

Solution
Each graphics card needs two 8 pin pcie connectors.
Your psu has 4 such connectors, so, in theory, you could connect the two cards up.
I don't know if mining takes more power than gaming or less.
If less, it could work.

Your case may not have a mounting place for a second psu.
Even if it does, you will need to have a means to power them both up.
There used to be aux graphics card power supply unit for a 5.24" bay, but I don't think they are made any more.
https://www.newegg.com/fsp-group-booster-x5-450w/p/N82E16817104054

You are much better off to do it simply with a stronger psu in the 860-1000w range.
I got a Ggb Z390 aorus pro motherboard with 2 gpu slots, in 1 currently is a 2080Ti. The entire system is hooked up to a cooler master 750W Gold.
Now I'm wondering is it possible to put a 3090 in my second slot and hook it up to, say a cooler master 550W ? Or am I going to fry my pc?

Cheers
It's possible if you tie the 0V leads together on the power supplies....but if you don't do it right....then you can fry things.

Each graphics card needs two 8 pin pcie connectors.
Your psu has 4 such connectors, so, in theory, you could connect the two cards up.
I don't know if mining takes more power than gaming or less.
If less, it could work.

Your case may not have a mounting place for a second psu.
Even if it does, you will need to have a means to power them both up.
There used to be aux graphics card power supply unit for a 5.24" bay, but I don't think they are made any more.
https://www.newegg.com/fsp-group-booster-x5-450w/p/N82E16817104054

You are much better off to do it simply with a stronger psu in the 860-1000w range.

Solution