2 grafic card, but only one works?

Jul 18, 2018
I have two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 grafic cards. but for some reason only one of them is working? both seem to work if i look in the pc since the lamps on both glow but if i try to use them only one of them shows up[if i go into the nvidia controls or if i look into the pc specs-> grafic cards.].

Jul 18, 2018

i dont know what a SLI bridge, motherboard or PSU model is. i really dont know much about computers.
i can only look into the device-manager. but there is a lot of things and i dont know what is relevant.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
look on eBay for a sli bridge for Gtx 1080, should be around,60-100 us. It connects the two cards together. You have to "bridge" them so they work as a pair. If you intended to overclock them they have to be the same brand.

Jul 18, 2018

i dont think i have a SLI bridge is it necessary to have one? i also dont know if two cards are necessary to run everything i play on highest settings.

i bought the pc over a year ago on hitech-gamer.com but i cant find the specific one anymore.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you need an SLI bridge to use both cards together in gaming. What games do you play, what resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?

If you can't tell us your specs, we can't tell you if your motherboard/CPU will support SLI even with a bridge. Download hwinfo64, and when you run it select the "summary" option.

Next time it may be better to do a few minutes of research before dropping $500+ on a graphics card...

Jul 18, 2018

i mostly play overwatch[semi pro in midmasters.] fps 144[since 144hz monitor] resolution 1920x1080.
if you tell me which segments the device manager shows you need to know then i could tell you.
i didnt bought the card solo. the pc had two as i bought it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Wait, so you bought a PC with two graphics cards over a year ago, and the 2nd graphics card hasn't worked the entire time, and you're only doing something about it now??

I don't know if it's worth asking, but do you know how long the warranty is?

If the PC came with two graphics cards, I would assume the mobo/CPU support SLI and it has a bridge included, but best to make sure. Check your specs using hwinfo64 or CPU-Z, and suggested.

Edit: OK, based on those specs SLI should work just fine. You may need to open up your PC and verify that an SLI bridge is installed. It may also be good to check which PCIe slots the two cards are installed in.

Edit2: You probably don't even need the 2nd GTX 1080 for 1080p/144 Hz gaming, but might as well get it working if you have it.

Jul 18, 2018

i never noticed it earlier. and i dont know if i have a SLI-bridge there is something on the cards but it doesnt look like it does on the nvidia site. [couldnt get a better picture with my phone...] https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375967118245756939/469183318618013702/20180718_184646.jpg
i just installed CPU-Z. i only need to know which things are necessary to know for you.

The 1080's need to be installed on the top two PCI-e slots, since your CPU only has 28 lanes it runs in a x16/x8/x0/x0 config with 2 cards installed.

Looks like both cards are next to each other. have you made sure in Nvidia control panel you have both cards and checked for SLI, something like this.

kAx2wVe.jpg

Jul 18, 2018

where do i see the PCI-e slots in CPU-Z and how do i change them if they are wrong?

Jul 18, 2018

i dont see the second card in nvidia controls
Screenshot_619.png

and the motherboard doesnt seem to have more than the two spots where the cards are in.

Jul 18, 2018

the divice manager only shows one card.
downloading the driver update rn.

ok so the lower card is not working at all if its not showing in device manager. Turn your computer off, unplug the power, and hold the power button down for a few second to drain all the power out of the system. Remove both cards and install the lower card in the top card's slot, this will test to see if the card is still good.

If the second card works in the first slot the install both cards in the slots that have red arrows on them. if they both show up in these slots then you will have to buy a longer sli cable to span the bigger gap
hAz4NZk.png

Jul 18, 2018

thanks alot for the help. i will do that as soon as possible but i cant do that the next few days since i participate in a tournament the next days and need the pc to be okay. i will message again after i tried that.