Question 2 GTX 980's, but only one shows in device manager

Postingonce

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I am a moron when it comes to tech, so apologies upfront if I don't understand the lingo. I may ask for simplifications.
With that out of the way, I'm not sure exactly when the card quit showing up/working. I have 2 980's in my laptop, but only one is being used (or even showing up at all), and it's really affecting performance.
I'm not sure how to tell if the card is burned out or the bridge has gone bad (I only know the bridge thing from perusing these forums looking for a fix), and I certainly have no clue how to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'll do my best to provide any system info you may need.
Update:
I've managed to somewhat narrow it down. Unplugging my 2nd monitor allows for all 8GB to be used, tested it on a resource intensive game. However, the 2nd card still isn't showing up in the device manager and the SLI option still isn't showing in the Nvidia Control Panel. I tried rebooting, but no dice. Any ideas?
A day later:
I'm fully aware that the card may no longer be functioning or reparable. If that's the case, I'll send the laptop in as it's still under a protection plan.
I'm merely asking for ideas I can try, though I am limited to those that won't void said warranty. Any and all ideas are welcome, or even any diagnostic tools you can point me toward.

As an update, Steam recognizes both graphics cards, but not Device Manager or Nvidia Control Panel. Not sure what that means, but again I'm mostly a layman. I was a tech at Staples and OfficeMax, but my specialty is virus removal (and really that overqualified me for those tech positions lol). So I'm fully aware that I'm mostly a noob when it comes to tech stuff, and will defer to many of your experiences in this matter. I just worry that I'll get less notice on the laptop section when this issue is GPU-related and is a known issue across laptop and desktop users.

Last edited:

Postingonce

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
My apologies did not think it was relevant. As I said, I'm very much a layman.
Model: G701VO
If you need any other information, feel free to ask. I may have to ask how I access said information, but I will do my best to do so with minor nuisance.
Edit:
ASUS says my model doesn't come with 2 GPU's, however it showed 2 GPU's all this time (2 years) up 'til a few days ago. So I'm thoroughly confused. Is it possible they partitioned the card to "boost performance" as my friend suggests?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS