2 HD's with 2 OS's.

Hawkes007

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
I would like to put an old HD into my newer desktop to try and acces files and/or use for storage. Basically the HD, 1.5 tb, I want to add has win 7 home premium. ( from an Hp h8-1214) To my dell Inspirion 3847 with win 10 pro i upgraded from win 7 pro. Will this work? Will I be able to acces my stuff, or have to wipe HD? Should I just convert it to an external HD if I can. Best option for saving files/photos is preferred. The HD is fine . comp failed cause of stuip on board graphics card, and I cant find a replacement that works with motherboard.

Solution
Disable secure boot os change the mode to legacy and you should not have an issue using the drive internally. Otherwise UEFI would see the foreign os and is supposed to prevent the system from booting up or seeing the drive if it does boot up. The other option, as you suggested, is to make it an external drive and you wouldnt have to mess with UEFI setup to begin with.

If you dont have a backup drive then I would recommend making it an external drive and using it as such after you get the files you need from it.

popatim

Titan
Disable secure boot os change the mode to legacy and you should not have an issue using the drive internally. Otherwise UEFI would see the foreign os and is supposed to prevent the system from booting up or seeing the drive if it does boot up. The other option, as you suggested, is to make it an external drive and you wouldnt have to mess with UEFI setup to begin with.

If you dont have a backup drive then I would recommend making it an external drive and using it as such after you get the files you need from it.

Solution