[SOLVED] 2 Identical RAM sticks randomly being incompatible and showing BSOD

awesomesoccerfan

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hey,

So ever since (May 2020) I bought my 2nd stick of 8GB G-Skill 2400Mhz Ram module with the same Latency and timing values and frequency as the first one I've been randomly getting BSOD. This problem has become such a nuisance that I can barely stay on windows for longer than a few mins. This used to happen much less often when I first paired them up. Now its even making my GPU driver crash. My specs:
I ran a memtest a few months ago but it came with no errors. Did it with both sticks. IMPORTANT UPDATE: For some reason the new module used alone prevents the pc from booting up in either slot. The old module boots up well in both slots without a problem. The new module seems to be the culprit but memtest didnt come up with any errors
Time of this report: 5/15/2021, 02:07:05
  1. Machine name: DESKTOP-JLP3ARO
  2. Machine Id: {6F75815D-A308-4124-913B-7A50C827557E}
  3. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
  4. Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  5. System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  6. System Model: B450M S2H
  7. BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/22/19 13:48:04 Ver: 05.0000E (type: BIOS)
  8. Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
  9. Memory: 16384MB RAM
  10. Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM
  11. Page File: 6384MB used, 12892MB available
  12. Windows Dir: C:\Windows
  13. DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  14. DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  15. User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
  16. System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
  17. DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
  18. Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8

I have attached the BIOS details of the RAM modules, most of the timings look to be the same. Do the tRRD_L and tRRD_S values really play a role vital enough to render the sticks incompatible? Also I only have support for XMP profile 1 in BIOS so im using that

https://ibb.co/LJFz2Q4

https://ibb.co/Pmcd9xM

Solution
I bought my 2nd stick of 8GB G-Skill 2400Mhz Ram module with the same Latency and timing values and frequency
A note to be made here is that just because they are exactly the same, but come from different packs, does not mean they are compatible. RAM is sold in packs for a reason. And even the exact same make and model RAM modules - simply from different packs - are not guaranteed compatibility.

For some reason the new module used alone prevents the pc from booting up in either slot. The old module boots up well in both slots without a problem. The new module seems to be the culprit but memtest didnt come up with any errors
I think you've probably found your issue here. Memtest is not 100% guarantee. There are plenty...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I bought my 2nd stick of 8GB G-Skill 2400Mhz Ram module with the same Latency and timing values and frequency
A note to be made here is that just because they are exactly the same, but come from different packs, does not mean they are compatible. RAM is sold in packs for a reason. And even the exact same make and model RAM modules - simply from different packs - are not guaranteed compatibility.

For some reason the new module used alone prevents the pc from booting up in either slot. The old module boots up well in both slots without a problem. The new module seems to be the culprit but memtest didnt come up with any errors
I think you've probably found your issue here. Memtest is not 100% guarantee. There are plenty of faulty modules that pass memtest. The fact that you've done a really good step by testing each one individually, and the new one seemingly to be causing issues, would likely indicate that module is faulty.

This used to happen much less often when I first paired them up.
So this still happened when you FIRST paired them up? Just less frequently? That should have been the initial warning sign if so.

I'd replace the module.
Ideally replace the memory altogether with a pack that are guaranteed compatibility.

Solution

awesomesoccerfan

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Is there any specific reason why they are incompatible? The timings and everything look identical as in the pictures I've shown. What do I tell the Shop if i wanna RMA the module since memtest result came OK. Also the new module sometimes do(or did) work on its own. Completely random

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not that you would be able to trace. I go into it a little bit in #4 here: How To - Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC. and someone asks about this in the comments: RAM Compatibility comment

What do I tell the Shop if i wanna RMA the module since memtest result came OK.
Physically changing and testing is better than any memtest. Just say that you tried the module by itself in multiple slots and you couldn't boot. Then your other module worked fine by itself in multiple slots.

That's far more evidence than any memtest.

Also the new module sometimes do(or did) work on its own
That is perfectly expected for some faulty RAM, because it is that tempermental.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Is there any specific reason why they are incompatible? The timings and everything look identical as in the pictures I've shown. What do I tell the Shop if i wanna RMA the module since memtest result came OK. Also the new module sometimes do(or did) work on its own. Completely random
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Ram is only ever guaranteed to work at the capacity of the kit.
Yes, it is strange that memtest passes both sticks working together.

I might add that ryzen is particularly picky about ram and how it is constructed.
There may be some bios updates to your motherboard that improves ram compatibility.

Ultimately, buy a ram kit explicitly supported for your motherboard and cpu on the QVL list.