2 identical ssd's for os and games

Slavetocaffeine

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
I currently own two samsung 512gb Nvme ssd's which both currently have windows 10 on them as well. I've been out of the hardware game for far far too long and know practically nothing about these bad boys. I just bought a ROG752 OC edition gaming laptop and want to use these ssd's and from what I've read ssd's are incredible in almost every aspect. Running them in raid 0 or not running them in raid 0? and also I do not own a copy of Windows 10 just two pre-installed sdd's. Should I keep them separate and run windows 10 on one and whipe the other and use it for strictly gaming? Or would I benefit more from running them in raid 0 and throwing games and OS on the combined SSD? I also have a 1 to hdd on the laptop, which I'll probably use for random programs and pictures of this and that ect... I'm no expert here, and would unequivocally love some feedback and advice. I.E. if I do raid them how do I save my OS, if I don't what other options do I have. Thanks In advance

"One SSD on its own scores again in the contrived tests we put together. The performance differences when we boot up and shut down Windows 8, then fire up different applications, are marginal at best and not noticeable in practice. Single drives actually manage to outperform the striped arrays some of the time, even."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

Almost all research shows that RAID for SSDs is pretty much pointless.

NVMe for a boot drive? NVMe is usually used for large arrays, databases, huge read/write loads, etc. Their dependence on PCIE and drivers means they are slow to boot, and can be difficult to work with considering your test/recovery bench might not even support NVMe yet.

For a boot drive they are significantly less desirable than a SATA SSD. But if you have them already, totally use them - and don't use them in RAID.

Naw, the NVMe is still going to be faster to boot than a HDD.
I never said they were slow, they are blazingly fast - but tend to excel in other uses which justify their high price.

I do find it odd that it uses an NVMe drive in the laptop, a m.2 SATA SSD would have made a lot more sense to me, but gaming laptop is an oxymoron in my dictionary, they never make sense.

Slavetocaffeine

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
So keep em separate, and just run games on one and keep the os on the other. In this day and age laptops are perfect for gaming. Maybe not rendering and writing and compiling code but atleast my laptop can handle just about anything thrown at it. It was a win win, portability for school and specs for gaming. Appreciate the input gents, any other suggestions or advice?