2 identical USB printers.

OK, I've got a kiosk where I do engraving, and I have 2 Roland MPX-60
engravers. They show up in XP as printers. They're both plugged in to a USB
2.0 hub. When Windows comes up, one of the printers is fine. XP associates
the mpx-60 driver in the printers folder, and there are no problems.
However, when you turn the second printer on, even though there's a MPX-60
(Copy 1) in the printers folder, you get the Add Hardware Wizard, and the
only way to get the printer to work is to let it install MPX-60 (Copy 2), and
delete Copy 1. If Copy 2 is already there, but there's no Copy 1, its smart
enough to name the new driver Copy 1.

Anyway, do any of you have experience running 2 identical printers in XP?
How does XP decide which printer installed in the printers folder is
associated with which physical printer?

Thanks.

How many free USB 2.0 ports do you have on the mobo? You
might try removing the printers (engravers) and the hub.
Then depending on the physical distances and your
requirements, either buy a second hub or install one printer
to each different direct port (not paired ports) This might
allow the devices to load as independent devices.
You might be advised to contact Roland to see if they have
any suggestions, such as a firmware update or a print server
or networkable engravers.

You could also run two computers and network them, giving
different names to the shared printers.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
"Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| OK, I've got a kiosk where I do engraving, and I have 2
Roland MPX-60
| engravers. They show up in XP as printers. They're both
plugged in to a USB
| 2.0 hub. When Windows comes up, one of the printers is
fine. XP associates
| the mpx-60 driver in the printers folder, and there are no
problems.
| However, when you turn the second printer on, even though
there's a MPX-60
| (Copy 1) in the printers folder, you get the Add Hardware
Wizard, and the
| only way to get the printer to work is to let it install
MPX-60 (Copy 2), and
| delete Copy 1. If Copy 2 is already there, but there's no
Copy 1, its smart
| enough to name the new driver Copy 1.
|
| Anyway, do any of you have experience running 2 identical
printers in XP?
| How does XP decide which printer installed in the printers
folder is
| associated with which physical printer?
|
| Thanks.

Or buy a hub & 2 usb print servers. probably cheaper than a new PC. . .
Assuming the Roland's don't require direct connections.