2 in 1 Laptop - recomendations/ ones to avoid?

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,
I need a 2 in 1 laptop that will be used exclusively in tablet mode for 4-5 hours at a time, it has to be Windows and an i5, i7 or Ryzen 5 or 7. Am I correct in thinking if it is in tablet mode it will have poorer ventilation as is closed over on itself so likely to run hotter than in laptop mode?

I have been reading and it seems some of the HP x360's run very hot even in laptop mode have poor battery life and have had some issues with screens popping out in the corner and hinges breaking.

The Lenovo Yoga always gets good reviews but I am alwys seeing them in the shop for repairs to the screen, motherboard, screen cable so I am a little wary about choosing a Yoga.

Here in Australia it seem the only choices I have really are HP, Lenovo, Dell and a couple of expensive Asus 2 in 1's

Does anyone have any insights or recomendations?

Thanks

Am I correct in thinking if it is in tablet mode it will have poorer ventilation as is closed over on itself so likely to run hotter than in laptop mode?
I can't imagine it being any worse than the laptop sitting on a flat surface because the feet are going to prevent the bottom and back side of the screen from touching. Also I would imagine you wouldn't have the thing plugged in or doing something that requires heavy lifting while in tablet mode anyway.

A lot of laptop CPUs can run fine with passive cooling now.

The Lenovo Yoga always gets good reviews but I am alwys seeing them in the shop for repairs to the screen, motherboard, screen cable so I am a little wary about choosing a Yoga.
And yet how old are the machines, how often is the same machine in for repairs, and what do the people using them do? If anything, if a place can easily repair it, that's actually a good thing.