[SOLVED] 2 intake 2 exhaust?

Dave_2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
I have two intakes in the front, and one exhaust on the back. Would it be a good idea to mount an additional exhaust fan to the top of my case? How will that effect the air flow in my case?

Solution
It would not work better that way either - in fact, it'd be worse:
-some of the cool front intake air gets pulled up and right out the chassis, thus accomplishing nothing.
-that very same air that had an early exit doesn't get to the cpu cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=en&tid=wh_airflow
Scroll down to point 6.
Ignore the part about 'having one fan as intake and the other as exhaust as highly recommended', as well as the diagram above Good, as that leans heavily on the user's hardware, chassis and supported fan setup.
In most PCs, top intake does not work well - you'd be better off leaving the top empty over doing that.

Dave_2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
https://silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=en&tid=wh_airflow
Scroll down to point 6.
Ignore the part about 'having one fan as intake and the other as exhaust as highly recommended', as well as the diagram above Good, as that leans heavily on the user's hardware, chassis and supported fan setup.
In most PCs, top intake does not work well - you'd be better off leaving the top empty over doing that.
Would the top exhaust work better if it was placed closer to the front of the case away from the rear fans space or will they still fight for air?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-some of the cool front intake air gets pulled up and right out the chassis, thus accomplishing nothing.

Solution

Dave_2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
thank you, I'm just gonna replace the rear stock fan with a better one