2 Internet connections used on same computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smous

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Hi
I have 2 internet connections at my disposal. 1 is a wireless connection coming from a router and another is a shared connection coming into my pc with a lan cable.
I am looking for software which will allow me to "route" certain traffic to certain connections. Example. connection 1(wireless) I want to use with online gaming and connection 2 for downloading files all at the same time without affecting each others performance.

Ideally I would like a program where I can set which program uses which connection.
Example all "normal" internet traffic goes to connection 1 and only game ports go to connection 2.
I am running windows xp.
I am not intrested in using another pc or using linux to do it for me.
I want 1 computer to handle both connections.
I had a look at load balancing software but couldnt find one that handles 2 connections.
Thanx alot

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Well, I haven't really thought about this as a possibility. Can you explain more as to why exactly your concept is better than just using the 1 connection?

I'm assuming your intentions are to be able to surf the net, but play games with the PC that is 'sharing' it's internet? My best thought would be to set up the 2 NICs on the one computer. For the wireless internet leave it at DHCP or whatever it is right now. For the NIC that is connected to your PC, set up your IP manually and set the subnet mask accordingly for just that range of IPs you use. Then leave the gateway BLANK on the NIC that's connected to your computer.

So:

Wireless LAN: DHCP
Other LAN(wired??): manual IP and subnet mask to something like 255.255.255.0(all of the 1.2.3.x addresses available).
This will cause your computer to route all traffic to your wireless card EXCEPT the range of IPs that are on your second card(and filtered by your subnet mask). When connecting to your shared computer's IP, it should be sent to the correct card ;).

It sounds to me like you are not completely familiar with subnet masking, so I HIGHLY recommend you go read up on how it works and such. It'll prolly click when you understand it more ;).

smous

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Ok Ill go into bigger detail.
We are a few people living in the same house with multiple internet connections.
No internet is directly connected to my computer.
So computer 1 is connected to a adsl line and a wired lan. It also has ics turned on so when I plug my network cable into my computer I am on the lan and automatically connected to the internet.

Then we also have a cable connection that goes into a netgear router which gives me the wireless Internet access.

We always have problems with high pings on gaming servers due to people in the house downloading and streaming video etc.
What we want to do is, use 1 connection for surfing, downloading, streaming etc and the other only for online games.

Example: I want to download big files using adsl connection and while it is downloading I want to play games on the cable connection.

I need a software package/setup that sends all browsing, streaming, torrents traffic to adsl connection and then all the games traffic to cable connection.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Ok. Your info was perfect. Computer 1 is being the 'router' for the ADSL, and your Netgear router is being your router for cablemodem. You want all download traffic through ADSL, and all gaming traffic through the cablemodem! Great idea... but there's a big BUT in there :(. If by internet playing you mean like world of warcraft, everquest, and stuff like that that's going to be hard. I would tell you to look into QoS and load balancing and all that jazz, but I'm pretty sure you aren't running a server OS for load balancing so that idea pretty much goes out the window.

I would look into a Dual WAN Router. Some of them will let you direct certain ports to particular connections and stuff. You should be able to find one that will let you set up either IP filtering or port filter(or maybe both) to use both connections just as you desire. That's about the best solution I have for you that's not going to be outrageously expensive. Just make sure you download the manual and read through it for the dual wan router before you buy it to see if you can actually use it to direct ports or IPs to a particular WAN connection.

smous

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Ok thank you very much. Was hoping there would be software to do this for me but Ill just have to get a dual wan router.

octopusplus

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Did you tried OCTOPUS+ software?
OCTOPUS+ is an innovative Internet Source Manger that brings a new revolutionary change in the way internet connections are utilized. OCTOPUS+ will help in utilizing all the active internet connections available in a computer. OCTOPUS+ will intelligently manage the traffic between a computer and the internet among the available active internet connections. This will ease out the congestion through each of the active internet connections and thereby maximizing internet traffic throughput while delaying the reach to the monthly download limit usually set by an ISP.
visit http://www.octopusplus.com/

Chertz

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Didn't work for me on Windows 7 64 bit... Kept getting the message "Opctopus has stopped working" when I tried to open it. Is there a way to fix this? I ran it as admin and under compatibilty already...

chooi800

Distinguished
May 14, 2011

hi, this above information is useful for solution computer network problems. Thanks for your great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS