Question 2 issues with new system

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I've just put my new system together - water cooled i7 9700k, gigabyte aorus elite, 32gb corsair ddr4 3000mhz, corsair 750w modular psu and an msi gtx 1070 from my old system.

PC boots into windows and is stable, cpu temp seems to sit at around 30c in Bios.

I've had 2 issues whilst building.

Firstly, the motherboard has both an 8 pin and a 4 pin power input, however the PSU only has 1 x 8 pin, and 2 x 8 pin PCI-E (split to 6 / 2 pin) outputs, neither of which have any configuration that's compatible with the 4 pin input. Question 1 - do I need the 4 pin power input for anything? System seems to work with the 8 pin only, but am I risking anything?

Secondly, can't connect to my Power line network using the ethernet port. Troubleshooter says no cable attached or cable broken, but I'm using a known good cable into a known good port. I've reset the Powerline adapter, tried different cables, without luck. LED on the NIC is orange, not green. Any suggestions on what might be wrong / how to fix??

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Don't worry about the 4 pin. Earlier motherboards used that as an either or, then other motherboards used it as an overclocking feature in the event you were maxing out everything or drawing power from extra devices plugged in.

For your other question, might need to check the drivers on that relating to your motherboard and see if there's an update or some kind of fix for that. Sometimes operating systems will install the wrong driver and it will not respond until corrected.

Or you can always insert a cheap wifi and connect wirelessly, Good luck!

Reactions: James Blonde

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Ahhh.... Yeh that would be it. My old system had 2 boot drives - a 1tb clone of an old 256gb one - I took the 1tb one from my old system just to get me going - works perfectly but obviously I'm getting ahead of myself - it was from a different system, and I've not installed the drivers yet - no CD drive! Will download them on the old system and transfer over via USB. Hopefully that'll fix it! If not, I'll be back! Thanks 😁

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Yup, that did it, thanks Quark.

Intention was always to blow the hard drive away and start again at some point soon, but needed to test the system, and need to keep this OS install running for a few weeks maybe while I figure out what I've got installed / what software I need to find / where everything is!