2 laptops 1 desktop wlan and lan

hystr

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello I just finished building and updating my custom PC. My modem and router are in the living room. and i want my desktop to be in my bedroom Now i am wondering if its is better to upgrade my router and just use a 50ft cat 6 Ethernet cable from mobo to connect two my router in the living room or get a new router and have that in my room and plug it in to my home network and or modem or router. Im going to be drilling anyways so witch one is better via no loss of bandwidth. I also have 2 laptops so i don't want to sacrifice any bandwidth

RealBeast

Titan
If your current router has an open LAN port, I would just run CAT 5e or CAT 6 cable, which is pretty reasonable from HERE, for example, and connect it to the Ethernet port on your new desktop. Your full wireless bandwidth is then still available to your laptops.

You don't need a new router unless your old router doesn't work well for your laptops. If you want multiple wired connections in your bedroom, just attach an inexpensive 4 or 5 port switch to the end of your cable run and then use a short cable to attach the switch to the computer and other devices in the bedroom.

RealBeast

Titan

What model is it and how much a month do they charge for the rental?

My first inclination is to buy a good router and get rid of the rental, which over a year or two will save you money and maybe give you a better router.