[SOLVED] 2 m.2 drives and a HDD storage drive for photo editing

Jul 20, 2020
What is the best way to utilize a 250Gb Samsung 960 evo, a 500Gb Samsung 970 evo plus and a 1Tb hdd for photo editing? Photoshop and Lightroom are used mainly. I have an Asus Prime Z-390-A motherboard and an I5 9600K. I also have a kingston 120Gb ssd I could use for a scratch disk if it helps... Any suggestions on how to best use these drives would be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
What is the best way to utilize a 250Gb Samsung 960 evo, a 500Gb Samsung 970 evo plus and a 1Tb hdd for photo editing? Photoshop and Lightroom are used mainly. I have an Asus Prime Z-390-A motherboard and an I5 9600K. I also have a kingston 120Gb ssd I could use for a scratch disk if it helps... Any suggestions on how to best use these drives would be greatly appreciated :)
I would use the 970 EVO as my OS and program drive and the 960 EVO as the scratch drive. HDD for storage. The Kingston can be used somewhere else as it won't help with photo editing since you have a faster OS and scratch drive already.

RealBeast

Titan
I would use the 970 EVO as my OS and program drive and the 960 EVO as the scratch drive. HDD for storage. The Kingston can be used somewhere else as it won't help with photo editing since you have a faster OS and scratch drive already.

Reactions: Drzues2012
Solution
Jul 20, 2020
OK thanks... This is what I thought but I've read putting apps on a different drive than the OS speeds things up. I can't really see a reason not to do it the way you suggested. Thanks for the input!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I agree Scratch drive. If you do other things with the PC that can use the speed of a faster drives then just using the slower Kingston SSD (EDIT for the scratch drive) could be a option usually for just photo editing you don't have a huge file anyhow so 120GB should be fine and still much faster than using the HDD.

Basically I don't think you thought enough about what you had and needed before adding drives the Kingston is probably no longer needed. That is common when upgrading I have a assortment of HDD and older SSD's that I have no use for so I re purpose then and even throw one in here and their in a customers PC for free.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020
I agree Scratch drive. If you do other things with the PC that can use the speed of a faster drives then just using the slower Kingston SSD (EDIT for the scratch drive) could be a option usually for just photo editing you don't have a huge file anyhow so 120GB should be fine and still much faster than using the HDD.

Basically I don't think you thought enough about what you had and needed before adding drives the Kingston is probably no longer needed. That is common when upgrading I have a assortment of HDD and older SSD's that I have no use for so I re purpose then and even throw one in here and their in a customers PC for free.
The only thing I added was the 970... I had the 960, the Kingston and the HDD from previous builds but the 250GB 960 seemed small so I upgraded to the 500GB 970. I really see no use for the Kingston now so it will probably go into a cheap build to sell off the old stuff. Thanks for the input, it all helps :0