Question 2 mice and 2 keyboards assigned to each desktop on one monitor (any OS except mac) ?

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi all

I'm trying to get vm that supports DirectX 12 to have usb passthrough so I can have 2 mice and 2 keyboards assigned to each desktop on one monitor.

Ralston18

Titan
Just to clarify: what is the end objective?

Something like one person using a keyboard and mouse set to play a game on the desktop via the one monitor.

And while a second person plays/competes in the same game via the VM using another keyboard and mouse set with the game being shown on the common monitor?

More information needed.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Just to clarify: what is the end objective?

Something like one person using a keyboard and mouse set to play a game on the desktop via the one monitor.

And while a second person plays/competes in the same game via the VM using another keyboard and mouse set with the game being shown on the common monitor?

More information needed.
Correct. That is literally what I'm trying to do :)

Ralston18

Titan
Multi-seat environment. One computer. Shared.

Most likely you will need to install some virtualization software and you will need a second monitor for the second player.

The following links should help you get started:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-two-users-at-the-same-time/

https://superuser.com/questions/29879/setting-up-a-multiseat-configuration

[Informational only: not recommending or endorsing any given product or service.]

There are many details involved and there may be various options involved.

That said, I will defer to those who have set up such VM environments for gaming.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Multi-seat environment. One computer. Shared.

Most likely you will need to install some virtualization software and you will need a second monitor for the second player.

The following links should help you get started:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-two-users-at-the-same-time/

https://superuser.com/questions/29879/setting-up-a-multiseat-configuration

[Informational only: not recommending or endorsing any given product or service.]

There are many details involved and there may be various options involved.

That said, I will defer to those who have set up such VM environments for gaming.
Ya I have tested many if not every thing and I cant find what I want. I don't want to run 2 cards and 2 monitors as I'm trying to reduce the energy consumption. Hyper-V with portioned gpu works well but I cant get Hyper-V to let me asine second mouse/keyboard's only host can gui the Hyper-V desktop. All the 3rd party usb apps end up with the moues passthrough but you can't see the pointer/curser.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Energy consumption - understood that you wish to reduce it.

And that is okay.

However, how much energy is being used now and what is the reduction target?

Quantify,...

Very likely that when it comes to cards and monitors that there is some fixed overhead that cannot be reduced further.

I do not know what that value may be.

However, it is as equally likely that you can offset the PC's related energy consumption by some other means. A nightlight versus some other higher wattage bulb being left on all night.

And actually save even more energy the more you delve into options and ideas.

A single LED light bulb somewhere just by itself could also be a means to offset power use.

Look at the bigger picture.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Energy consumption - understood that you wish to reduce it.

And that is okay.

However, how much energy is being used now and what is the reduction target?

Quantify,...

Very likely that when it comes to cards and monitors that there is some fixed overhead that cannot be reduced further.

I do not know what that value may be.

However, it is as equally likely that you can offset the PC's related energy consumption by some other means. A nightlight versus some other higher wattage bulb being left on all night.

And actually save even more energy the more you delve into options and ideas.

A single LED light bulb somewhere just by itself could also be a means to offset power use.

Look at the bigger picture.
Ya I cant really figer out why my energy consumption is so high. I will master it soon but the main subject is about me eventually building a battery generator for portable pc for camping.
My other option is to run VMwear and us a streaming service that uses my pc as a server. Any suggestions ? Parsec seams way expensive as it dos not have a life time pass/service cost.

USAFRet

Titan
Ya I cant really figer out why my energy consumption is so high. I will master it soon but the main subject is about me eventually building a battery generator for portable pc for camping.
My other option is to run VMwear and us a streaming service that uses my pc as a server. Any suggestions ? Parsec seams way expensive as it dos not have a life time pass/service cost.
How have you determined "so high", and how are your PCs the heart of this??

And for " portable pc for camping." - Why is a laptop not a viable solution?

Reactions: Ralston18

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
How have you determined "so high", and how are your PCs the heart of this??

And for " portable pc for camping." - Why is a laptop not a viable solution?
Right now I cant get my server/pc much lower than 247w at may average requirement. Ween I say camping I mean off grid living/fishing 10-14 hour's a day.
But if I cant figer out how to get this on one monitor I have to supply more power due to having to use server and a tablet/laptop/pc that can handle 2 vmWEAR player instances.

Last edited: