[SOLVED] 2 Modems?

rickwhoo

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
I have xfinity for internet service and my Son who drives me crazy with his Gaming PC components thinks he needs faster service. My wireless gateway modem is in my living room where it's wired to my cable box, TV, Phone and 2 PC's already. Is there a way to put his own modem upstairs in his room? It's too far and way too much work to direct wire to his PC. He has a cable line already in his room also.

Solution
Since he is currently WiFi, that is almost certainly the issue.

Given a coax cable in that location already, you can probably do a wired solution with MOCA devices.
https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

One of these next to your current router, and one in his room.
These turn the ethernet signal from the router into something that can be pushed through the coax.
At the other end, reverse the process for his PC.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not without getting a separate internet hookup, no. Most providers will not offer duplicate services to the same address, so it would have to be someone else like AT&T or Verizon.

Direct connection, one way or the other. Either you put the modem in with him and you use wireless, or you run the cable.

Alternative would be something like ethernet over power, but I'm sure you'll get the same complaints. Fastest and best way would be to run an ethernet cable, and since you don't want to do it twice, might as well get cat6e for potential speed increases in the future.

Reactions: rickwhoo
you could have an ISP come and hook up a second account for the second floor but that will be expensive with 2x accounts to pay for.

maybe change to a different service provider or service plan and tell them you need a second connection upstairs. see what kind of plan(s) they have available.

or just keep the current plan and add a range extender with ethernet connection for his room or add a powerline ethernet adapter. but you will still be sharing the same connection speeds through the whole house.

USAFRet

Titan
Since he is currently WiFi, that is almost certainly the issue.

Given a coax cable in that location already, you can probably do a wired solution with MOCA devices.
https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

One of these next to your current router, and one in his room.
These turn the ethernet signal from the router into something that can be pushed through the coax.
At the other end, reverse the process for his PC.

Solution