[SOLVED] 2 molex to 8pin safe?

Jul 4, 2020
Just bought a rx 5500xt which requires an 80in. I previously had a gtx 1050ti which required no power connector. I'm thinking about buying a dual molex to 8pin but is it safe?

Solution
Just bought a rx 5500xt which requires an 80in. I previously had a gtx 1050ti which required no power connector. I'm thinking about buying a dual molex to 8pin but is it safe?
"but is it safe?"

No. Molex is not meant to provide power to a GPU.
If your PSU does not have the proper connectors for your new GPU...you need a new PSU.
Jul 4, 2020
"but is it safe?"

No. Molex is not meant to provide power to a GPU.
If your PSU does not have the proper connectors for your new GPU...you need a new PSU.
Is it possible I use it for now without the 8pin but I lower the voltage in msi afterburner? Or would that not work

No. No no no no.... Lord no.

What is your PSU? Is it a modular PSU that is missing the PCIe cable(s) or is just a cheap piece of garbage that didn't come with PCIe cables and therefore shouldn't be used to power a $200 graphics card?

Reactions: King_V
Jul 4, 2020
No. No no no no.... Lord no.

What is your PSU? Is it a modular PSU that is missing the PCIe cable(s) or is just a cheap piece of garbage that didn't come with PCIe cables and therefore shouldn't be used to power a $200 graphics card?
Ok, I will try to fund for a new psu lol, I have £35 to spend

Used google images to reverse search using the photo. Looks to be an
Xclio 700W BUILDER Fully Wired ATX PSU
You got a bad deal, scan has the same PSU for 25 pounds. :LOL:

CCL has the exact same PSU labeled as "Generic"
https://www.cclonline.com/product/3...c-Builder-700W-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit/PSU1752/

Looks like a piece of junk. Claims to be 80+ on scan but yet has a max efficiency of 70%, and that's on 230v even.

Has 48a on the 12v rail. So it's overrated and is not a 700w PSU, though 48a isn't too bad. And it also at least has a PCIe 8 pin, though a "700w" PSU should have 4 of them...

I wouldn't touch that with a 39 and a half foot pole.

Used google images to reverse search using the photo. Looks to be an
Xclio 700W BUILDER Fully Wired ATX PSU
You got a bad deal, scan has the same PSU for 25 pounds. :LOL:

CCL has the exact same PSU labeled as "Generic"
https://www.cclonline.com/product/3...c-Builder-700W-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit/PSU1752/

Looks like a piece of junk. Claims to be 80+ on scan but yet has a max efficiency of 70%, and that's on 230v even.

Has 48a on the 12v rail. So it's overrated and is not a 700w PSU, though 48a isn't too bad. And it also at least has a PCIe 8 pin, though a "700w" PSU should have 4 of them...

I wouldn't touch that with a 39 and a half foot pole.

Of course that's at 230V. The damn thing can't even support any lower voltages. And while it says it can do 48A on the +12V (600W), I bet even that is at 25°C with the fan running full tilt.

And note the (lack of) certifications. Self decleration CE and RoHS compliance. No CB. Not TÜV. No UL. No FCC.

The UK split from the EU just so they could legally sell this garbage???

Jul 4, 2020
Of course that's at 230V. The damn thing can't even support any lower voltages. And while it says it can do 48A on the +12V (600W), I bet even that is at 25°C with the fan running full tilt.

And note the (lack of) certifications. Self decleration CE and RoHS compliance. No CB. Not TÜV. No UL. No FCC.

The UK split from the EU just so they could legally sell this garbage???
Should I cancel the order if it hadn't been shipped yet and try to buy this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aero-Coo...brand=AeroCool&_trksid=p2332490.c101103.m3021, the only problem is I'm on a super tight budget and I'm unsure if I can squeeze that in

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

No, don't buy this one either.

Save until you have a proper PSU. The budget for a safe PSU for a GPU, is the prerequisite for buying the GPU. You're buying the sports car and asking if you can skip on the car insurance and maintenance. The proper PSU for what you do is the most important part of a PC, not an afterthought. First you budget the proper equipment for what you want to do and then you get the fun stuff.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 05:27 BST+0100

This is the least you can get away with.

Jul 4, 2020
^ I would highly suggest that you bring up to speed with what is necessary in a system in terms of PSU's before you make a suggestion. Misinformation is the primary reason people end up buying the wrong things for the right work.
The problem is I only have 30 bucks to spend, I'm on a super tight budget and I need to use the pc asap