[SOLVED] 2 molex to 8pin safe?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 4, 2020
Just bought a rx 5500xt which requires an 80in. I previously had a gtx 1050ti which required no power connector. I'm thinking about buying a dual molex to 8pin but is it safe?

Solution
Just bought a rx 5500xt which requires an 80in. I previously had a gtx 1050ti which required no power connector. I'm thinking about buying a dual molex to 8pin but is it safe?
"but is it safe?"

No. Molex is not meant to provide power to a GPU.
If your PSU does not have the proper connectors for your new GPU...you need a new PSU.
Jul 4, 2020
Dont waste your money on that evga. Just wait to use the new gpu till you can get a proper psu(like the cx450 linked earlier in the thread). Continue using your old gpu or use the igpu.

Btw, you never posted what psu you are currently using.
I have a generic non brand psu... I know I cheaped out on that, and I already gave my gpu away to my cousin, what's wrong with the evga? I need the pc to work in an instant and I have no more than 35 to 40 bucks

Jul 4, 2020
Honestly, buy a rx570 and proper psu. Its far cheaper than the 5500xt and performance is close.

The aerocool i likely less bad than the genaric one, but still pretty bad.
Apart from that, would the evga do? I need the 5500 xt, and a new psu would the evga I linked earlier do? It would take a couple weeks for another gpu and psu to come in, and I'd have to sell my 5500xt which would take another week or 2. I just need to know if the evga wont fry my pc

Jul 4, 2020
The evga is still quite low tier. Far better than the no name psu.

It is not worth that price used at all.

Just a month ago the evga w1 500w was like $45 new free shipping.
Where from? It says used / open box

EDIT: I will check back on this forum in about 3 hours, send me suggestions I need a psu asap and from what people write evga is very trusted

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020
The evga is still quite low tier. Far better than the no name psu.

It is not worth that price used at all.

Just a month ago the evga w1 500w was like $45 new free shipping.
What Bout this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193536331936 I think its 80+ bronze, i can wait and get it in a week if it's a good option

Edit, I managed to get the other order cancelled LUCKILY as it was just about to be sent out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sigh....

@Usisgdu please listen.

Imagine you are riding a powerful motorcycle. That's easy. Now think about what you were wearing. Good boots, helmet, riding leathers, heavy gloves etc. You wear all that not because any law tells you you must, but because there's always a strong risk of an idiot pulling out in front of you, a wet patch in the road, whatever. You most certainly do NOT wear flip-flops and a pair of shorts. Why? Because IF anything ever happens, that road is NOT forgiving in the slightest, it'll rip bare flesh to shreads, it'll crush your skull, it'll kill you.

Your psu/gpu is exactly no different. IF you decide to run a nice, big, expensive gpu, it MUST have the proper protections. Hooking up molex, using cheap junk psus, ancient CX builder class psus, is all the same as wearing flip-flops. You might get away with it for a week, a month, a year, but sooner or later you WILL hit that oil slick, someone WILL pull out in front of you, and you have NO helmet. Buh bye gpu. Buh bye motherboard. Buh bye psu.

Hello Fire Dept.

Jul 4, 2020
Sigh....

@Usisgdu please listen.

Imagine you are riding a powerful motorcycle. That's easy. Now think about what you were wearing. Good boots, helmet, riding leathers, heavy gloves etc. You wear all that not because any law tells you you must, but because there's always a strong risk of an idiot pulling out in front of you, a wet patch in the road, whatever. You most certainly do NOT wear flip-flops and a pair of shorts. Why? Because IF anything ever happens, that road is NOT forgiving in the slightest, it'll rip bare flesh to shreads, it'll crush your skull, it'll kill you.

Your psu/gpu is exactly no different. IF you decide to run a nice, big, expensive gpu, it MUST have the proper protections. Hooking up molex, using cheap junk psus, ancient CX builder class psus, is all the same as wearing flip-flops. You might get away with it for a week, a month, a year, but sooner or later you WILL hit that oil slick, someone WILL pull out in front of you, and you have NO helmet. Buh bye gpu. Buh bye motherboard. Buh bye psu.

Hello Fire Dept.
So what psu should I get I have no more than 35 bucks, the other people here recommended that psu. Also in looking to sell the pc after a week or 2 anyway, I know I dont want to burn someones house down but I also want to make a little bit of profit while I'm at it, I dont want to buy a 100 pound psu and then and then sell my pc for 400 bucks or I'd be down.

Last edited:
So what psu should I get I have no more than 35 bucks, the other people here recommended that psu. Also in looking to sell the pc after a week or 2 anyway, I know I dont want to burn someones house down but I also want to make a little bit of profit while I'm at it, I dont want to buy a 100 pound psu and then and then sell my pc for 400 bucks or I'd be down.

Then return the RX 5500 XT.

You planned this upgrade very badly.

Reactions: King_V
Jul 4, 2020
Then return the RX 5500 XT.

You planned this upgrade very badly.
I cant return it :/ what's a psu that will do the job... and not put my pc up in flames, I'm 13 and have practically no way of making any extra money.. my dad already offered £75 to my pc and I doubt he will add any more

Jul 4, 2020
Corsair CX450.
I linked a corsair cx 500, and someone said that it's very 'ancient' should I still stick with it or... also is there different models for example like, a 2016, a 2018 model etc or is it just the same psu being manufactured thanks, do you have discord for example? It will make matters a lot easier

The CX430, CX500, CX600 came out in the early 2010s. They are quite old, and were not particularly good back then. They have a reputation for failure and killing hardware. I believe a mod here had one kill a motherboard iirrc.

The CX450, CX550, CX650 came out in 2017 and are much newer and far better.

Reactions: King_V
Jul 4, 2020
The CX430, CX500, CX600 came out in the early 2010s. They are quite old, and were not particularly good back then. They have a reputation for failure and killing hardware. I believe a mod here had one kill a motherboard iirrc.

The CX450, CX550, CX650 came out in 2017 and are much newer and far better.
Alright thank you for all the information, I will try to find one and link it.

Is a newer Corsair CV or VS 450/550 (letters vs in grey, not orange) available? They are not good, however, they should work since you are on a budget. They have enough protections and are decent enough that I would consider them safe to use for a low-end system.

Jul 4, 2020
Is a newer Corsair CV or VS 450/550 (letters vs in grey, not orange) available? They are not good, however, they should work since you are on a budget. They have enough protections and are decent enough that I would consider them safe to use for a low-end system.
Spray I didnt see this reply, but what's the difference between the orange and grey sticker? I can only seem to find orange stickers and the occasional grey sticker but the price is around the same as the cx 450

Jul 4, 2020
This is what I found, cant find no grey stickers that are not 55bucks or more
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392862810341
Edit: I also found this, unsure if it's a grey sticker one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293628879624

Last edited:
I linked a corsair cx 500, and someone said that it's very 'ancient' should I still stick with it or...

500W is old. 450W and 550W are new.

The only problem is the cheapest I can find them is over 60 bucks. :/ is there anything/anywhere that I can get another or cheaper one, that will still do the job well?

That's because you need to spend more money on a PSU. PSUs that won't damage your PC aren't cheap.

This is what I found, cant find no grey stickers that are not 55bucks or more
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392862810341
Edit: I also found this, unsure if it's a grey sticker one

That's the old one. You can see the letters "VS" are in orange.

Still garbage. You need to listen to what people are telling you. So many people can afford to buy a new graphics card but are unwilling to buy a good quality PSU.

Bottom line, you need to increase your budget or not bother with a new graphics card if you want peace of mind that your expensive new graphics card won't get taken out by a nasty cheap power supply.