[SOLVED] 2 molex to 8pin safe?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 4, 2020
Just bought a rx 5500xt which requires an 80in. I previously had a gtx 1050ti which required no power connector. I'm thinking about buying a dual molex to 8pin but is it safe?

Solution
Just bought a rx 5500xt which requires an 80in. I previously had a gtx 1050ti which required no power connector. I'm thinking about buying a dual molex to 8pin but is it safe?
"but is it safe?"

No. Molex is not meant to provide power to a GPU.
If your PSU does not have the proper connectors for your new GPU...you need a new PSU.
Jul 4, 2020
When it comes to GPUs yes they are, but for PSUs they sell some good units and some not so good units and the W1 is a not so good unit especially used. It's better than the Aerocool but not by much. Currently PSUs are at a premium due to shortages caused by Covid. So even the decent budget units are harder to find and cost more.
But is a vs450 a decent psu with protections?

None of the options are good. Your budget simply is not big enough to get a good PSU. Really, you should have considered this before you spend the money on the RX5500xt

The no-name is probably the worst. The orange label VS is terrible.

The CX600 is bad, but not as bad. The EVGA is pretty bad too.

Corsair CX450 55 pounds
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WW51XBX?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&pldnSite=1
Corsair CV450 40 pounds
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Br...words=vs450&qid=1593979957&s=computers&sr=1-3

Stock issues rn due to covid.

Jul 4, 2020
None of the options are good. Your budget simply is not big enough to get a good PSU. Really, you should have considered this before you spend the money on the RX5500xt

The no-name is probably the worst. The orange label VS is terrible.

The CX600 is bad, but not as bad. The EVGA is pretty bad too.

Corsair CX450 55 pounds
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WW51XBX?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&pldnSite=1
Corsair CV450 40 pounds
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Br...words=vs450&qid=1593979957&s=computers&sr=1-3

Stock issues rn due to covid.
Which would be better? The cv450 or cx450

Jul 4, 2020
Being picky isn't good at this price.

The CX450M is a good option, tho I dont know how much id trust a used PSU

Essentially, from worst to best
VS
CV
CXM
CX
Alright thanks for all the help its very appreciated, I'll just pickup the cv450 from amazon when it's in stock, or of I get a good deal on a cx I'll consider that, once again thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd take a better quality psu with ketchup and mustard cables over a lousy quality psu with pretty sleeved cables any day of the week. You can get/make sleeves yourself very cheap, in any color you want, just need some heat-shrink tubing (also very cheap. The most important part being the better quality psu.

Jul 4, 2020
I'd take a better quality psu with ketchup and mustard cables over a lousy quality psu with pretty sleeved cables any day of the week. You can get/make sleeves yourself very cheap, in any color you want, just need some heat-shrink tubing (also very cheap. The most important part being the better quality psu.
Alright thanks, I'm trying to sell my pc after anyway. As long as it doesnt bloe up till be fine lol

"The problem is I only have 30 bucks to spend, I'm on a super tight budget and I need to use the pc asap "

As always the choice is yours but a few people with many years of experience, and possibly the most prolific expert on PSU's have already stated that that budget is unrealistic.

You have to remember that the PSU is THE most important part of your system. It not only supplies power but protects your PC.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are supposed to make sure your parachute is in good working order before you jump out of the aircraft. Which is what you didn't do. And with a deadline budget, it's now too late, you jumped.

You have exactly 1 option left, disregard all practical advice given and get whatever psu you can, and pray it works. Hopefully it'll last the new owner a good long time, it's on your conscience if it doesn't.

Reactions: jonnyguru