2 monitor setup on 1 dvi graphics card?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. if my graphics card has 1 dvi, 1 hdmi, 1 display port, can i still hook up 2 monitors to it? do i need to just get a vga to hdmi converter? or do i need a graphics card with atleast 2 dvi ports or 1dvi, 1 vga?

thanks! :hello:

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Yes but they all have negative reviews mostly, and as I cannot guarantee its success, I will not recommend it.

However I must ask, do either of your monitors support DVI? If so you can grab that cable I linked to and use it for that Monitor, and the DVI-VGA adapter that came with your video card.

IF not, there are some expensive(relatively) HDMI to VGA converters, but they range from $33 and up.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
That Acer has DVI and VGA you can use the HDMI-DVI cable I linked to above to connect the Acer and the DVI-VGA adapter that came with the video card for the Vizio.

It will connect something like this

Video Card> HDMI-DVI cable>Acer
Video Card>DVI-VGA Adapter>VGA cable>Vizio

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

does the display port give better quality than the hdmi?

thanks

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

HDMI only supports single-link DVI and not dual-link DVI which means you'll lose resolution. Displayport supports dual-link DVI, though.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I've spent way too much time making a case for a certain kind of adapter over another kind of adapter. If it were me I would go with a displayport to DVI adapter but it's just an adapter/cable - if it fits then it's going to work just fine. I don't know what cables and monitors you have at your disposal, but do whatever is cheapest and most convenient.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I'm only recommending the HDMI-DVI thing because of 2 major things and 1 minor.

It's a cable, it's not going to place any undue stress on the output on the video card.
And that there will be no quality loss at all over any other connection used

And the minor thing is Price, it's $7.99.

That said, since I am mostly about price and it being a cable, here is a DP to DVI cable for around $10 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002CSUZSU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new