Question Two monitors at different resolutions ?

MuttonJeff

Commendable
Jun 25, 2021
Hi guys, can anyone help with how best to set this up...
I have a PC with an RTX 2080. I want to connect it to 2 screens... A TV and a monitor (in seperate rooms).
The TV is a Sony 4k, and the monitor is an Acer 1080p. At the moment I have the PC connected to both screens using separate outputs, and I seem to have the choice of mirroring the desktop on both screens (but have to choose one resolution), or extending the desktop, which allows for 2 different resolutions, but means I need to pick one as the main screen which has the start menu and is where apps open.
I want to be able to turn on the PC and be able to use it in either room, without having to mess around with the screen/resolution settings every time.

Would I be able to lock the PC to 4k resolution, so it works fine on the TV, and is displayed in 1080p on the monitor, or is there a way of using the extended desktop, but having the start menu on both screens, and launch apps on whichever one is active?

I am also waiting on delivery of a new Amp (denon x2700h), which has 2 hdmi outputs, so would using this help get it working?

Thanks.

Well you can always use 1080p in both with mirroring and in the TV settings upscale it to 4k.

I have heard others saying about HDMI /DP switches that transfer the output to the selected display. So you can switch it every time you change rooms. I haven't used one though.

MuttonJeff

Commendable
Jun 25, 2021
The TV is going to be my main screen, so I'd prefer to output 4k to that at least... That's why I thought forcing 4k output, and hopefully the monitor will handle it ok and present it as 1080p... Problem seems to be that Windows tries to change the resolution if the TV is switched off and the monitor is switched on.

Does anyone know if there is a way to extend the desktop, but have a start menu on both screens?