2 Month old 4870x2 fan already clicking...

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I've only had this 4870x2 for a couple months and 1 of the fans is already clicking at an annoyingly high speed. Its more then loud of enough to be almost impossible to ignore.

This is an expensive card and its new... this really is annoying. Anything I can do to fix this other then sending it back and not getting a replacement for 2 months?

Thanks

One of the fans? You mean it has multiple fans? You could try replacing the fan, but if you make too much of a mess it will void the warranty. What brand/type of card do you have?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Its a VisionTek ATI Radeon 4870x2

2 cores, 2 fans. Dunno which one is being a pain. unfortunately there enclosed in a case so the hot air can be blown out the back of the case so I would have to try to remove the cover over the fans to get at them.

So it isn't the stock cooler then. Well, the only thing I could see doing besides returning it if it is an integrated fan is to disable it. Then you would have to tack on a new fan somehow to keep it from overheating. The other option I suppose is to replace the whole cooler, though I don't know what is available (if anything) for the X2.

Edit: I mean it is not the standard ATI 4870X2.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Click is the closest sound I could think of to describe it. The sound is not loud enough to be a wire hitting the fan (I've heard that before) but I will check for that anyways, and also the noise only starts when the cards start getting stressed from a game or something.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
The card is still making the sound. Its not really a clicking as much as its like plastic rubbing during the fast spin of the fan. Its only noticable when the card is pushing itself in a game or something.

How many fans are IN the card? I ask because its not the big cylinder type fan at the end of the card, the "sound" is coming from closer to the center of the card under the plastic cover. Are there smaller fans under the plastic case?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Well that is damn odd because I am almost positive that that fan isn't making the noise. I used the end of an eraser to slow the fan down for just a sec and the sound never changed. Also I can put my hear up to the card and the sound is coming from further in the card.... Very strange...