Question <2 month old build randomly freezing into reboot during web browsing/idle (no BSOD)

Jun 5, 2023
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help with a crash into reboot that's happened about 20-25 times with the computer I built about 2 months ago.

When web browsing, in a voice call, or even just idle, it'll the video/picture on screen will just freeze and if there's audio running, it'll continue before the entire system just goes into a straight reboots, no blue screen. While everything is frozen, it actually lets me alt+tab between different windows for another few seconds before it all freezes completely, but the switched window will still be frozen (like my discord background). Event Viewer is being a little useless, only telling me Kernel-Power 41 (63) Keyword: (70368744177664),(2). 2 of the crashes are Kernel-Power 142 (173).

Even stranger, and why I can't figure it out, is that this crash hasn't happened a single time while under load, like gaming. It has always happened when I'm just watching videos or talking to friends on Discord.

I originally just suspected it was a BIOS problem since this is a B650 Aorus Pro, but going from F4 --> F5 didn't fix the problem. FWIW, I updated to F4 in the initial setup and my voltage was capped at 1.255.

My build is as follows:

AMD 7800X3D

Lian-Li Galahad 240mm

Gigabyte B650 Aorus Pro AX

Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s C30 AMD EXPO Memory

Samsung 990 Pro (boot drive)

Nvidia 4080 FE

Lian Li LANCOOL 216

Corsair RM850x (2021) 850W

Most likely not relevant, but I'll also mention that I use ASIAHORSE extenders for cosmetic purposes as well as a Cablemod cable for the 4080. I also turn on Virtualization in BIOS for emulators.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first check and recheck all cables to your components and from your PSU, for anything that might've come loose over time.

I originally just suspected it was a BIOS problem since this is a B650 Aorus Pro, but going from F4 --> F5 didn't fix the problem. FWIW, I updated to F4 in the initial setup and my voltage was capped at 1.255.
I would advise on moving to BIOS versionF6b.

Have you tried working with another, reliably built PSU with more wattage than what you have at your disposal at this moment of time?

Most likely not relevant, but I'll also mention that I use ASIAHORSE extenders for cosmetic purposes as well as a Cablemod cable for the 4080.
Remove them and try with the stock cables.

Jun 5, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first check and recheck all cables to your components and from your PSU, for anything that might've come loose over time.

I would advise on moving to BIOS versionF6b.

Have you tried working with another, reliably built PSU with more wattage than what you have at your disposal at this moment of time?

Most likely not relevant, but I'll also mention that I use ASIAHORSE extenders for cosmetic purposes as well as a Cablemod cable for the 4080.
Remove them and try with the stock cables.
I have not tried other PSUs. I also suspected that may have been the problem, but the fact that it only does this when web browsing and not under load is the biggest thing stumping me.

I don't have an extra PSU to try at the moment, but I'll swap back to stock cables to see what happens.

I_Got_Crabs

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
Just random thought. New build, I hope you are using an authentic MS Windows purchased version of the OS. It sounds like you have a system panic, but then you usually see system panic at the time it freezes. The way you described the crash, it sounds like you have programs with a memory leak. They use the memory but don't free it up after use and then when the memory runs out the pc freezes, crashes, an the like.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023
Just random thought. New build, I hope you are using an authentic MS Windows purchased version of the OS. It sounds like you have a system panic, but then you usually see system panic at the time it freezes. The way you described the crash, it sounds like you have programs with a memory leak. They use the memory but don't free it up after use and then when the memory runs out the pc freezes, crashes, an the like.
Errrr....I did use a certain github for Windows admittedly.

I actually found another thread that had the same exact problem as me: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-build-randomly-shutting-down.3802580/

After turning off VCore auto settings, the amount of restarts dipped and I've only had 3 shutdowns in the last month or so.