2 Month old PC Very Unstable, BSOD, tried everything. Is my CPU bad?

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
What can I do? I'm getting constant BSOD, I replaced every component besides the CPU, does this sound like a CPU issue? But I can easily stress test the CPU, my PC crashes when I try to install games, update drivers, or perform windows update. I reset the CMOS countless times and reinstalled the OS countless times.

Specs: asrock fatality z370 itx, i5 8600k, gigabyte windforce gtx 1080 (currently removed), CX650M PSU, g.skill 2x8gb ddr4 3200 MHZ ram.

The issue got progressively worse over time. My Temps are fine in BIOS and when stress testing, so I have no idea. I've gotten nowhere.

Also not that it matters, but my wifi ALWAYS BOOTS WITH either red or yellow exclamation point and goes away after 10 seconds or so.

When I plug the GPU back in my PC is more unstable, freezes more ECT.

I replaced every component besides the CPU, but does this sound like a CPU problem?

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

The system has been running normally, with the occasional BSOD and game crashing, but I overlooked it. Was minimal.

ANY blue screens or crashing, at all, means it is not running normally. That means there has been a problem from the start and you were simply ignoring it.

How long has it been running, and I assume, getting worse all the time?

How long ago did you actually build this system and when exactly did the "constant bsod" start?

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Constant BSOD and Major System Failure started happening 2 weeks ago. Yes it got worse over time (more game crashes) and finally my system just gave out and BSOD looped which I then reset OS and CMOS and it happened again. I can boot my system up and do stuff ECT, but its when I try installing ANYTHING or updating windows (or mid way when my OS is installing), or run userbenchmark, its when my system fails.

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I've tried doing a Fresh Windows install via a BOOTABLE USB.

So it works fine as long as you do not boot into windows?

Works fine in the bios? Can you download and run a bootable Ubuntu disk or USB and see if there are any issues?

Are you using an old drive from an older system that had windows on it, or is it a brand new windows installation on a new drive?

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Yes, the PC works fine in BIOS.

I tried installing Ubuntu on my USB drive, but it took too long to download. Not even 10% when left to download overnight. (Someone already suggested that).

What do you mean by brand new installation?

When I install windows via USB I wipe drives via CMD (diskpart) and then proceed to install the OS onto my SSD (500gb 960 evo).

Ok. Stop. I would recommend that you remove the CPU cooler and CPU. Check to make sure that you did not bend any pins on the motherboard socket when you installed the CPU. You might need a magnifying glass or high powered reading glasses, unless you have very good eyes, to see if there are ANY pins that look bent, or different than the rest of the pin bed. Anything that looks "off" or irregular, not uniform with the rest of the CPU pins on the motherboard.

If it is all good, then reinstall the CPU, carefully, and then clean the cpu lid and bottom of the heatsink and repaste. When you reinstall the cooler, don't crank it down, just make it nice and snug.

What cooler model do you have?

Also, you might want to test the power supply with a volt meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

You can get a cheap multimeter at most home centers, walmart, harbor freight, hardware or tool stores, etc.

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I have 2 motherboards and installed the CPU in twice carefully, neither have bent pins.

What do you mean by clean CPU lid and heatsink? like remove all thermal past from CPU and everywhere on the MoBo and CPU Cooler? (Don't have any more thermal compound, but my PC should run fine without since temps are fine).

My cooler is a corsair h100i v2.

I have 2 Power Supply's, I don't think both of them are somehow bad?

Ok, so with that cooler it is unlikely that it is overly tightened. Possible, but unlikely.

If you've tried 2 motherboards, two power supplies and there are no bent pins, then I'd suggest your CPU or memory are all that's left.

Try resetting the CMOS by removing the cmos battery for five minutes. Then go into bios, select default settings. Try it. No love. Download Memtest86 and test for 4 passes.

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I have also tried 2 completely different sticks of ram which leaves me with just the CPU (don't want to talk about GPU as I'm hoping it's not busted)…….

Memtest86 the last set ram overnight TWICE and 0 errors, but bought another pair just incase and same errors

I've cleared the CMOS... ALOT, so I dunno……

But, with the errors I'm having, being able to stress test the CPU, and BSOD when installing drivers, programs, ECT.... sound like a CPU error? I'm legitamently confused :(

you should also provide the current windows diagnostic dump from c:\windows\minidump directory so we can see what windows thinks is wrong with your computer.

Clearing CMOS is not the same as completely resetting CMOS by removing the battery using the procedure I outlined for you. You will of course need to go back into the bios afterwards to reconfigure any required settings, or at least to select the setup default configuration, but after that the hardware tables will be regenerated and we can move on to seeing what Windows thinks is the problem as johnbl has indicated. Or dealing with whatever else is wrong.

Is your Wi-Fi built in to the motherboard or is it an add in adapter by USB or PCI? Have you tried going to the manufacturers product page for your wi-fi adapter and downloading, then installing, the latest drivers for it?

Also, I understand you have two motherboards, but is the bios on BOTH those motherboards the latest version from the product page for each board? If not, we are wasting our time.

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kl9qTuaTxHXNzyRu_Zr_1ROKkjrWGVzV

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rQcfkd

icedcoldmine

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kl9qTuaTxHXNzyRu_Zr_1ROKkjrWGVzV

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rQcfkd

Alright, removed the Jumper from the CMOS and my PC continued to crash still.

I'm not sure if the WiFi is built in the MoBo, but I listed my build above so you could see.

Both MoBo's are updated to newest firmware. I have replacement parts for every part besides the CPU, but this doesn't seem like a CPU error cuz I can stress the CPU and temps are fine.

And idk if the windows registry or windows files are bad cuz I reset the OS multiple times downloading the media over 15 times onto my USB.

Anyways for more info on the problem (help wise) here's a ongoing reddit thread of another guy helping me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/9n7oss/whats_wrong_what_do_i_do_ive_replaced_every_part/e7mjs3o/

I never said anything about a jumper. I specifically said remove the cmos batter and outlined an entire procedure. Removing the jumper is resetting the cmos, it is not the same process that I outlined. So, dunno.

You need to remove the CMOS battery for five minutes, during those five minutes press the power button for 30 seconds. After five minutes put the cmos battery back in the motherboard and try to post. All of this needs to be done with the power cord removed from the wall or the PSU, and then put back afterwards, obviously. Still might not help the problem, but THAT is the process that is most successful in resetting the hardware tables. Other methods are rarely successful at all. Sometimes, if it's a really basic problem.

Probably not going to be YOUR fix, but it SHOULD be done to eliminate a basic step.