Question 2 month old TCL 6 series TV sometimes won't turn on, but unplugging/replugging power cord fixes it ?

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
My TCL 6 series TV is about 2 months old and lately its developed this issue where the standby light is on, but the TV won't turn on via the remote or the tv power button . Unplugging it and plugging the power back in fixes it, but this is concerning. Factory reset made no difference.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I've read it could be a power supply issue that could get worse over time to the point of no longer turning on.

I have the best buy geek squad warranty but have no other issues with the TV so I'm not sure what to do here. Should I replace the TV?

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and relocate to a different wall outlet or even take a different power source to the panel, to rule out your idea of the issue being power related. I'd think the same way, if disconnecting from the wall and reconnecting it changes the nonoperational situation around, whereby maybe static build up is the culprit or the innards of the panel are having trouble coping with standby power.

Should I replace the TV?
What you've described isn't normal. To add, if the TV wasn't like that out of the box then it's definitely worth an RMA.

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
You could try and relocate to a different wall outlet or even take a different power source to the panel, to rule out your idea of the issue being power related. I'd think the same way, if disconnecting from the wall and reconnecting it changes the nonoperational situation around, whereby maybe static build up is the culprit or the innards of the panel are having trouble coping with standby power.

Should I replace the TV?
What you've described isn't normal. To add, if the TV wasn't like that out of the box then it's definitely worth an RMA.

Something I've noticed is that the TV gets harder to turn on the longer it's been powered off.

If I turn the TV on then off, it turns on immediately.

If the TV is off for maybe 6 hours. I'll have to press the power button twice to turn on.

If the TV is off maybe 12 hours I'll have to press the power button 3 or 4 times

Sometimes after a long period (12 hours or more) it won't turn on and this is when I'll have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Use the warranty if it’s only 2 weeks old. I have a tcl 4 series. It works well enough but they are the price they are for a reason. My TV has been decent, but I bought it in 2020 when there were shortages of products. Truth be told if they’d have had any other brands in 65 inch available at a similar price I probably would have bought it as opposed to the tcl. They are made overseas. Ours a couple of times did something where the TV would come on and it would display but the colors were way off. The fix was unplug it and plug it back in.