2 network routers

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple
computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all works
fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router
itself is 192.168.0.1.

Now, I'm trying to add a second router by Linksys. Doing this because
Vonage sent me one, and it includes a voip phone jack, which my Netgear
doesn't have. However I don't want to switch the Netgear for the Linksys
because the Linksys doesn't have enough LAN ports for my use.

Therefore I'm trying to figure out how to chain them together so both can be
used. I basically plugged in a cable from one of Netgear's ports and on the
other end I plugged it in to the internet port of the Linksys router. Do I
need to configure anything special on the Linksys side, such as the IP
address, gateway, etc? I'm not able to get to the internet from the Linksys
end. Earlier today it worked, but I really don't know how that happened
because after I changed the IP it stopped working.

Joe

Shabam wrote:
> I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple
> computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all works
> fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router
> itself is 192.168.0.1.
>
> Now, I'm trying to add a second router by Linksys. Doing this because
> Vonage sent me one, and it includes a voip phone jack, which my Netgear
> doesn't have. However I don't want to switch the Netgear for the Linksys
> because the Linksys doesn't have enough LAN ports for my use.
>
> Therefore I'm trying to figure out how to chain them together so both can be
> used. I basically plugged in a cable from one of Netgear's ports and on the
> other end I plugged it in to the internet port of the Linksys router. Do I
> need to configure anything special on the Linksys side, such as the IP
> address, gateway, etc? I'm not able to get to the internet from the Linksys
> end. Earlier today it worked, but I really don't know how that happened
> because after I changed the IP it stopped working.

you need to go in the linksys router and disable dhcp plus make the ip
of the linksys in the same subnet as netgear. the netgear is 192.168.0.x
you said? and linksys is always 192.168.1.1 by default. so what you do
then is this.

1: connect from netgear lan to linksys wan port.
2: connect pc to linksys lan port.
3: log into linksys by typing in 192.168.1.1 . if no connection at all
then hook up linksys to computer only. nothing else in linksys lan.
4: log into linksys and turn off dhcp.
5: change default linksys ip to 192.168.0.5 or whatever.
6: connect from netgear lan port to linksys wan port.
7: connect computers to linksys lan.
8: should be fine now. don't know 100%.

if no work then you need to have linksys as first router and netgear as
second. same thing happens here as above. only this time go modem to
linksys wan port. lan port on linksys to wan port on netgear and yer
fine. in linksys set it up as wanted, but again here, change netgear to
same subnet as linksys so 192.168.1.x and turn off netgear dhcp probably.

i don't have a clue if linksys voip would work behind the netgear but i
doubt it. reason is same as parental control etc won't work in the
linksys WRT54GS if it is second router. linksys says for their functions
to work their routers have to be first one cus they don't do double
natting or something.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

You really shouldn't run two routers on your network. I would
strongly recommend that you replace the Netgear with your Linksys and
get yourself a small switch to give you the LAN ports you need.

<user@domain.com> wrote in message
> You really shouldn't run two routers on your network. I would
> strongly recommend that you replace the Netgear with your Linksys and
> get yourself a small switch to give you the LAN ports you need.

Mind explaining why?

"Shabam" <chalupa@yomama-nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple
> computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all
> works
> fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router
> itself is 192.168.0.1.
>
> Now, I'm trying to add a second router by Linksys. Doing this because
> Vonage sent me one, and it includes a voip phone jack, which my Netgear
> doesn't have. However I don't want to switch the Netgear for the Linksys
> because the Linksys doesn't have enough LAN ports for my use.
>
> Therefore I'm trying to figure out how to chain them together so both can
> be
> used. I basically plugged in a cable from one of Netgear's ports and on
> the
> other end I plugged it in to the internet port of the Linksys router. Do
> need to configure anything special on the Linksys side, such as the IP
> address, gateway, etc? I'm not able to get to the internet from the
> Linksys
> end. Earlier today it worked, but I really don't know how that happened
> because after I changed the IP it stopped working.

Maybe try same setup as I did, see mailing of Apr 1st 05 subject "2 routers
in Win XP SP2"
And yes, get them on the same net/subnet by setting their LAN addresses all
at 192.168.0.x or all at 192.168.1.x subnet 255.255.255.0

Networking works fine with me, including internet-access, from whatever PC I
connect.
Only minor issue is "seeing" both routers as "internet gateway" in "My
network places - properties", but that *might* be if XP stops looking for
gateways if finding one.