[SOLVED] 2 Noob-ish Questions Regarding Upgrading MoBo and CPU

Mar 26, 2020
Hey hey, people. So I got a bit of 2 noob-ish questions (as the title of this post suggests) regarding an upgrade I plan to do this weekend with my brother.
For a few years now I've been stuck with an AMD FX-8350 CPU with Corsair Vengeance RAM and using a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 MoBo for my gaming and it served me well. However, the time came to finally be more up-to-date with my hardware and I managed to get a new MoBo, CPU, and RAM - specifically the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) motherboard, an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X processor, and DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM(2 8GB sticks of course). I also make use of an up-to-date Windows 10 (64-bit) OS.

Here comes to the noob-ness....

If I'm swapping out my old motherboard and CPU (since I know the RAM won't impact files or drivers) for a new type and brand of board and an upgraded processor of the same brand while using Windows 10, will I be forced to reinstall my OS? I did some reading and I believe there's a listed way to avoid reinstalling the operating system - but I want to make sure before I make any assumptions or do anything.

And question number 2... will I necessarily -need- to reformat my hard drives and/or SSD in this case? I'm hoping this step will not be necessary with my listed components and OS - primarily due to the number of documents and files I have and the fact I've had to recently set up shop for call-center work to my home with the coronavirus that's affecting everyone, which also was a considerable headache and hassle to get everything set up just to keep making a living and support my family alongside my brother.
Any advice is greatly appreciated while I continue my research on the side on this. Hope y'all are staying safe and healthy - and thank you all for your time.

Solution
Clean install of Win 10.
Be sure you have only ONE drive connected while you do this install.

Then, being a Retail license, it should be no problem applying that to this new OS install.
Since you are changing from a Gigabyte to a n ASUS motherboard you will need to reinstall the OS because the motherboard drivers are installed at that time.

I think you will have problems trying to install over your existing system data. Best to install on a fresh partition. You might be able to do it but I think you will be looking at headaches you don't need. If possible, you might consider purchasing a new HDD/SSD for the install. If you go that route unplug your existing media, do your install and get it running properly, and then plug in the existing media and copy files over.

Mar 26, 2020
FX-8350 -> Ryzen....full wipe and reinstall.
OS and everything else.

Where did you read this "listed way"?

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/upgrade-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows.html This link specifically - but I also looked on the official Microsoft site and saw this article on reactivating Windows 10 after hardware upgrades. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

I also saw my account has a digital license linked to it for Win10.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
Activation/license is different than Operation.

If your license is linked to your MS account, that works on the new hardware.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the Operation, procedures like what Minitool lists, or Macrium Reflec ReDeploy, or Sysprep...possible.
But, changing hardware generations is always iffy, no matter what the tools say they can do.

I'd much rather go through a known procedure with a full reinstall.
Always works, AND you get avoid carrying along all the old gunk from the old system.

Mar 26, 2020
Right.
Activation/license is different than Operation.

If your license is linked to your MS account, that works on the new hardware.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the Operation, procedures like what Minitool lists, or Macrium Reflec ReDeploy, or Sysprep...possible.
But, changing hardware generations is always iffy, no matter what the tools say they can do.

I'd much rather go through a known procedure with a full reinstall.
Always works, AND you get avoid carrying along all the old gunk from the old system.
Right... I was genuinely hoping there was a way to avoid the hassle recovering all non-crucial programs and files that couldn't be backed up.

I do have another question though after some thinking - say I were to delay upgrading and instead scrounge up additional components to make a second system from scratch (admittedly, the one I have now was used but served me well). Since the license is linked to my account, is there a way to use that license on that second computer? I did some reading already - seems like one CAN do this (if I read it correctly) so long as both computers aren't active, but thought I'd double check.

USAFRet

Titan
Right... I was genuinely hoping there was a way to avoid the hassle recovering all non-crucial programs and files that couldn't be backed up.

I do have another question though after some thinking - say I were to delay upgrading and instead scrounge up additional components to make a second system from scratch (admittedly, the one I have now was used but served me well). Since the license is linked to my account, is there a way to use that license on that second computer? I did some reading already - seems like one CAN do this (if I read it correctly) so long as both computers aren't active, but thought I'd double check.
One PC at a time.
Not two.

In the Activation Troubleshooter, you literally tell it "this new PC, not that one anymore"

For your new system, you can install the OS and leave it Unactivated. Runs just fine with a couple of small restrictions.
No customization of the desktop and taskbar, and a sometimes appearing watermark at bottom right.
Other than that, it installs and runs just fine.

Mar 26, 2020
One PC at a time.
Not two.

In the Activation Troubleshooter, you literally tell it "this new PC, not that one anymore"

For your new system, you can install the OS and leave it Unactivated. Runs just fine with a couple of small restrictions.
No customization of the desktop and taskbar, and a sometimes appearing watermark at bottom right.
Other than that, it installs and runs just fine.
Hmm.... I guess it would just be best to do the clean reinstall of my OS and just back up my files or at least make time to get the crucial WFH programs reinstalled....

Anything you would recommend for the reinstallation process to avoid such restrictions or issues? I believe I've got a clean SSD or one that can be used for the installation - but is there anything you'd recommend for making a copy of the OS or use to transfer the license over?

Sorry... it's a new process for me and I'd rather not **** up my livelihood with mistakes.

I also need to mention my license is a retail one for this used computer - so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Clean install of Win 10.
Be sure you have only ONE drive connected while you do this install.

Then, being a Retail license, it should be no problem applying that to this new OS install.

Solution