[SOLVED] 2 NVMe's?

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
I got a B550 Gaming Edge Wifi. And I was planning to get a 1TB NVME PCie SSD, the Kingston A2000 to be exact. And use that for the OS and games. But I also noticed a deal on a 860 EVO by Samsung, the 2,5 SSD one. Which made me consider to buy this as well. But this line of thinking brought me to another thought. Would it be better to just buy a second NVME as well? The EVO and the Kingston A2000 would end up costing about the same.

Furthermore. today I noticed an early black friday discount on a 1TB 970 plus as well. Which got me thinking that perhaps I should get that instead, and use that for the OS and games. And perhaps use a kingston A2000 as a second "disk" for my video and audio hobby stuff. I suppose the more ideal thing would be to get an NVMe with 2TB instead, but the only one that would cost the same as the combination above would the Intel P660.

From my understanding two M.2 should work based on what I find on the product page for the B550 motherboard. If I haven't misunderstood anything. Since I'm not familiar with this. Other than this I would just connect a graphic card and a small spare SSD I have and eventually a storage HDD. So I dont think the M_2_2 slot would run slower, if I haven't misunderstood the info on the product page. Which says " When installing devices in M.2_2, PCI_E2 & PCI_E3 slots at the same time, PCI_E3 slot will be unavailable, and M2_2 slot only supports PCIe x2. "

"2x M.2 slots (Key M)
M2_1 slot (from AMD Processor)
Supports PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x4 1
Supports SATA 6Gb/s
Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices

M2_2 slot (from AMD B550 chipset)
Supports PCIe 3.0x4
Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices"

Is there anything I have overlooked or misunderstood? Since I'd rather avoid making a blunder here.

Last edited:
Solution
Both ports support NVMe drive.
1 port supports both NVMe and SATA M.2 drives.

2x NVMe, or 1x NVMe and 1x SATA III
Either combination will work. And in a game system, you'll likely not see any real difference either way.

And of course, the other SATA III ports on the motherboard will accept 2.5" SATA III SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

Either combination will work. And in a game system, you'll likely not see any real difference either way.

And of course, the other SATA III ports on the motherboard will accept 2.5" SATA III SSD.

Solution

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014

That's great. That just leaves the decision about what to pick. The Kingston A2000 or the 860 EVO considering that they cost the same currently. Thought I'd assume that if they cost the same that the A2000 is the better choice since it is faster? I realise that there probably wouldn't be a lot of difference side by side for gaming and such, but if they cost the same then wouldn't the A2000 be the "better value" option? Since from what I can see they offer the same warranty etc, while the A2000 has a few specs where it is better on paper at least.

USAFRet

Titan
That's great. That just leaves the decision about what to pick. The Kingston A2000 or the 860 EVO considering that they cost the same currently. Thought I'd assume that if they cost the same that the A2000 is the better choice since it is faster? I realise that there probably wouldn't be a lot of difference side by side for gaming and such, but if they cost the same then wouldn't the A2000 be the "better value" option? Since from what I can see they offer the same warranty etc, while the A2000 has a few specs where it is better on paper at least.
Better specs, on paper. Doubtful you'd see any actual difference.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM