[SOLVED] 2 of my ram slots stopped working on my motherboard

Oct 12, 2020
I just bought a new motherboard after my last one had issues with my ram not loading properly. It was an old used motherboard I got off of eBay. I'm now having similar issues with the brand new motherboard and brand new ram could it be a faulty motherboard or another issue my CPU and graphics card are getting a bit old. I just don't want to replace my CPU if I don't have to.
my specs are.
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1060
Motherboard: ASRock z270 killer sli
CPU: Intel I7 7700k
Ram: 4 DDR4-2400 8G all work fine
power supply: corsair CX750M

Last edited:
Solution
is there a motherboard you recommend that supports my CPU finding one online wasn't easy
Here is where the problem lies. They do not sell 7th gen motherboards brand new. However you can buy from ebay for your 7700k and I recommend this after doing research. Also there are price spikes as since they are all pre owned and not selling anymore they jack up the price. I would get this MSI board its quality just costs 145 bucks which is the cheapest you will find pre owned to work with your 7700k. Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-MSI-Z2...001375?hash=item3da332821f:g:~lUAAOSwlF1evb-Q This is a good motherboard and Im sure the guy...
Oct 12, 2020
the far-right ram slots just don't work it doesn't boot if the ram is in them the other two ram slots do work i have a corsair cx750M i have four 8gb ram sticks

i had the same problem with an old mobo. 2 kits of 2 will simply not work. All 4 ram sticks need to be the EXACT same stick down to the model number.
problem is they were working and just stopped after a few weeks

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
i had the same problem with an old mobo. 2 kits of 2 will simply not work. All 4 ram sticks need to be the EXACT same stick down to the model number.
You are half correct my friend. If you have different model sticks what you need to do is set the RAM timings to the one that has the higher latency timings and the one with lower Memory Frequency and also voltage same thing. Then it will work. X.M.P wont do nothing for you in this situation. As for your rig you have a nice CPU I wouldn't wanna buy a new one as well if I were you. Just go to BIOS and as I said because if one set of the timings are too high and other is lower at stock then it will conflict and not work. So you take the lower speed and higher timings and higher voltage one and set it manually like I said and you should be good. If it still doesn't work then we can do some serious troubleshooting to see whats going on. As for 2 sticks going bad that is like lightning hitting you on the forehead IMO. One will go bad but not two at the same time. Hit us up when you go to BIOS and do as I said. Good Luck.👶🎗✝

the far-right ram slots just don't work it doesn't boot if the ram is in them the other two ram slots do work i have a corsair cx750M i have four 8gb ram sticks

image of ram info
View: https://imgur.com/w3w9DHm
What is the bios version? There has been many upgrades
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z270 Killer SLI/index.asp#BIOS

f4-2400c15d-16gvb is a 2 sticks kit of 2 x 8 Gb.
So you are mixing 2 different kits, which is not guarantee to work.
Also per your manual page19, you should just start by putting one of the kits in A2 and B2 slots (eventually in A1 and B1).
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z270 Killer SLI.pdf
What happens when you try to boot in this configuration?
Do the same with the other kit.

If neither of this work you have possibly a motherboard problem.
If the kits work individually the problem is that 2 different kits will not always co-operate.

Oct 12, 2020
What is the bios version? There has been many upgrades
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z270 Killer SLI/index.asp#BIOS

f4-2400c15d-16gvb is a 2 sticks kit of 2 x 8 Gb.
So you are mixing 2 different kits, which is not guarantee to work.
Also per your manual page19, you should just start by putting one of the kits in A2 and B2 slots (eventually in A1 and B1).
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z270 Killer SLI.pdf
What happens when you try to boot in this configuration?
Do the same with the other kit.

If neither of this work you have possibly a motherboard problem.
If the kits work individually the problem is that 2 different kits will not always co-operate.
i just updated the bios to 2.3 still the same issue and i said the wrong slots its the slots on the left that dont work my bad and its all the same ram

Oct 12, 2020
You are half correct my friend. If you have different model sticks what you need to do is set the RAM timings to the one that has the higher latency timings and the one with lower Memory Frequency and also voltage same thing. Then it will work. X.M.P wont do nothing for you in this situation. As for your rig you have a nice CPU I wouldn't wanna buy a new one as well if I were you. Just go to BIOS and as I said because if one set of the timings are too high and other is lower at stock then it will conflict and not work. So you take the lower speed and higher timings and higher voltage one and set it manually like I said and you should be good. If it still doesn't work then we can do some serious troubleshooting to see whats going on. As for 2 sticks going bad that is like lightning hitting you on the forehead IMO. One will go bad but not two at the same time. Hit us up when you go to BIOS and do as I said. Good Luck.👶🎗✝
it's not the sticks that arent working its the slots in the motherboard the sticks work fine tested all 4 separately and it booted just doesn't boot if there is any ram in the left 2 slots on the motherboard

Reactions: egda23

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Oh sorry about that I got confused been a long day. Ok basically your RAM works dual channel in two slots. But when you try to add more RAM to the other two slots to fill her up it doesn't get detected or the PC itself doesn't boot up and post and what not? Can you fill me in on that so we can help you better. I mean are you able to get into Windows but only it sees the 2 RAM sticks and the other 2 it doesn't show?👶🎗✝

Oct 12, 2020
Oh sorry about that I got confused been a long day. Ok basically your RAM works dual channel in two slots. But when you try to add more RAM to the other two slots to fill her up it doesn't get detected or the PC itself doesn't boot up and post and what not? Can you fill me in on that so we can help you better. I mean are you able to get into Windows but only it sees the 2 RAM sticks and the other 2 it doesn't show?👶🎗✝
no, it doesn't boot at all

Oct 12, 2020
Ok apparently your motherboard is not liking all 4 slots filled in. I believe all 4 sticks are same model correct? If so go to BIOS and set X.M.P and before you do that put it on set to optimized defaults and hit me back up. Also if I were you I would flash the BIOS with latest firmware. Do these things and hit me up.👶🎗✝
tried that didn't do anything the issue is that that if i just put 1 ram stick in either the first or second slot it won't boot even and any other combination

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks for the current info but I must say that motherboard is simply not going to cut it. AsRock is being a pest and is not a very good motherboard brand to be honest with you. Their not junk, just not top tier. You even wrote SLI in the description on your OP. That is funny as SLI has been dead for a very very long time many many years and nVidia admitted it. Its pointless dead technology that is not used. Crossfire is also dead. I would go to ebay and see if you can buy a motherboard that will have the right chipset for your CPU and I bet you anything you will not have this problem. Cost won't be much just avoid AsRock at this point.🖐🤷‍♀️🎗✝

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for the current info but I must say that motherboard is simply not going to cut it. AsRock is being a pest and is not a very good motherboard brand to be honest with you. Their not junk, just not top tier. You even wrote SLI in the description on your OP. That is funny as SLI has been dead for a very very long time many many years and nVidia admitted it. Its pointless dead technology that is not used. Crossfire is also dead. I would go to ebay and see if you can buy a motherboard that will have the right chipset for your CPU and I bet you anything you will not have this problem. Cost won't be much just avoid AsRock at this point.🖐🤷‍♀️🎗✝
is there a motherboard you recommend that supports my CPU finding one online wasn't easy

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Here is where the problem lies. They do not sell 7th gen motherboards brand new. However you can buy from ebay for your 7700k and I recommend this after doing research. Also there are price spikes as since they are all pre owned and not selling anymore they jack up the price. I would get this MSI board its quality just costs 145 bucks which is the cheapest you will find pre owned to work with your 7700k. Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-MSI-Z2...001375?hash=item3da332821f:g:~lUAAOSwlF1evb-Q This is a good motherboard and Im sure the guy selling it is not trying to rip you off and it will be in working order. If not there is always ebay money back guarantee. Good Luck.✝🎗🤷‍♀️💯

Reactions: straightawaykid
Solution