Question 2 out of 4 RAM sticks gone bad?

Feb 5, 2022
Hey there,

my PC was working fine for the past year but a few days ago i noticed it restarted itself when i wasn't at home (my pc runs 24/7 and everything is turned off that could restart my pc).
I didn't care much but yesterday while i was at home it did it again, so i looked for the crash report and found out it has something to do with my RAM. I then started to test the RAM with both Microsoft RAM Diagnostics and memtest86 and immediately got a lot of errors.
So i started to test each RAM Module one by one and 2 out of 4 are giving me errors. Both Sticks are from the same Kit. Is this just a coincidence or could both go bad at the same time?

I have 64 Gb total (4x16) from 2 exactly the same kits (only the manufacture Date has a 2 months difference)

RAM: 4x16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo (CL 16-19-19-39) 3600 MHz DDR4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Mobo: Asus Rog Strix x570 F
PSU: beQuiet dark power pro 11 1200w Platinum

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? have you tried working the culprit sticks on a donor system, having the sticks set up in dual channel mode, i.e, 2x16GB? You could try and do the same on your platform, keeping in mind to use slots A2 and B2 only, see if the issue persists, to rule out faulty ram slots on the board. There have been instances where a BIOS issue caused all rams to be the issue when the sticks were fine on a donor system, and there were instances where 3 out of 4 sticks threw up errors(this was a long time ago) but there are chances that it can happen. Who it happens to and when it happens, is another story entirely.

Feb 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? have you tried working the culprit sticks on a donor system, having the sticks set up in dual channel mode, i.e, 2x16GB? You could try and do the same on your platform, keeping in mind to use slots A2 and B2 only, see if the issue persists, to rule out faulty ram slots on the board. There have been instances where a BIOS issue caused all rams to be the issue when the sticks were fine on a donor system, and there were instances where 3 out of 4 sticks threw up errors(this was a long time ago) but there are chances that it can happen. Who it happens to and when it happens, is another story entirely.

Thank you for the fast reply. The BIOS was an older Version, i think 2608, i'm not sure, but now i updated to the latest version 4021.

I didn't get a chance to test the sticks in another pc yet.

Now i'm a little confused. After the Bios Update i ran again the memtest86 and got an error on the good sticks aswell. Both in dual and single mode. (A2 and B2)

If i put them in the slots A1 and B1 the system keeps turning on and off. I removed the B1 Stick and it works fine with 1 Stick on the A1 slot, with no errors also.

Now i'm not sure anymore if the ram is faulty or maybe the motherboard.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have 64 Gb total (4x16) from 2 exactly the same kits (only the manufacture Date has a 2 months difference)

Exact same kits probably not and could even be using different parts. Memory is tested to work together for a reason.

Testing individual sticks don't really help since all the memory used must work together.

Feb 5, 2022

Exact same kits probably not and could even be using different parts. Memory is tested to work together for a reason.

Testing individual sticks don't really help since all the memory used must work together.

It worked fine for over a year 24/7. And i have 2 kits with 2x16 gb and now both are giving me errors when tested with memtest86.

The Kit that i thought was ok is getting me the same error found by "cpu 2" everytime. I don't know if this is important or not.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd test the ram in a different pc. That's far too many errors on too many different sticks to be coincidence. I'd suspect that the ram is fine, but it's the cpu that's shot, particularly the memory controller. You could also try bumping up SoC voltage 0.05 to 0.1v and retesting.

Feb 5, 2022
I'd test the ram in a different pc. That's far too many errors on too many different sticks to be coincidence. I'd suspect that the ram is fine, but it's the cpu that's shot, particularly the memory controller. You could also try bumping up SoC voltage 0.05 to 0.1v and retesting.

Quick update. It seems that all 4 RAM sticks were broken. I RMA them and they sent me 2 new kits. I now have 2 Corsair Domintor Kits installed and they run without any errors.

Reactions: lynx1021