[SOLVED] 2 out of 4 system fans stop running sometimes

Dec 19, 2021
So I have 3 front fans and 1 back fan. All the same brand, Phanteks. They have ARGB. For some odd reason, the middle fan AND/OR the back fan will stop. Not at the same time, but the back fan has only stopped once while the middle front fan has stopped at least 4/5 times ever since I built this computer. It has been an hour and it still hasn't fixed itself. It would usually fix itself after a few minutes, but now it is still not running. The ARGB light is still on. It keeps on trying to start up, like it will move ever so slightly, and then stop. And it just keeps doing that.

Even after turning off my computer and turning it back on, it will not spin.

Solution
Yes, they will sometimes. Even my Noctua PWM fans will do that if they are set too low. Try raising the bottom RPM by like 50rpm, and then another 50rpm if that doesn't work, or raising by like 5% if using percent of PWM.

Also, look closely to see what is designated as the source for the headers that all your case fans are assigned to. There can be different thermal sensor sources like VRM, motherboard, system, CPU, GPU, etc.

Also, what are your FULL hardware specifications including motherboard, CPU, GPU card, power supply, etc.?
Do you have the fan profile curve configured in the BIOS or are you using a desktop application to configure the fans?

Check to see if they all are assigned the SAME fan curve, AND if they all have the same SOURCE designated for thermal response in the BIOS.

Are you using a hub, or are they all connected directly to motherboard fan headers?

What is the minimum RPM assigned to the fan curves of the ones that stop spinning? Sometimes, and I've had this happen with pretty much ANY fan brand or model, if the fan curve is set below a certain threshold at low temp, the fans will stall and often can't restart. Try bumping up the minimum RPM for those fans on the fan curve by creating a custom curve and assigning it a slightly higher RPM or percentage of PWM.

Also want to check to see if these are PWM fan models or DC fan models, and what mode, PWM or DC they are assigned in the BIOS.

Dec 19, 2021
Do you have the fan profile curve configured in the BIOS or are you using a desktop application to configure the fans?

Check to see if they all are assigned the SAME fan curve, AND if they all have the same SOURCE designated for thermal response in the BIOS.

Are you using a hub, or are they all connected directly to motherboard fan headers?

What is the minimum RPM assigned to the fan curves of the ones that stop spinning? Sometimes, and I've had this happen with pretty much ANY fan brand or model, if the fan curve is set below a certain threshold at low temp, the fans will stall and often can't restart. Try bumping up the minimum RPM for those fans on the fan curve by creating a custom curve and assigning it a slightly higher RPM or percentage of PWM.

Also want to check to see if these are PWM fan models or DC fan models, and what mode, PWM or DC they are assigned in the BIOS.
I used the BIOS to configure the fan curves. They are all not the same but are close together. I put them all around 600+ for idle and it will increase to 800/900 on load. They are PWM and I clicked the PWM when I went into the bios. Never would have thought that it would stall if its set below a certain point

Yes, they will sometimes. Even my Noctua PWM fans will do that if they are set too low. Try raising the bottom RPM by like 50rpm, and then another 50rpm if that doesn't work, or raising by like 5% if using percent of PWM.

Also, look closely to see what is designated as the source for the headers that all your case fans are assigned to. There can be different thermal sensor sources like VRM, motherboard, system, CPU, GPU, etc.

Also, what are your FULL hardware specifications including motherboard, CPU, GPU card, power supply, etc.?

Solution