Question 2 pc wired connection

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
The set up is one pc upstairs and another one downstairs but if possible would want both of them to have wired connection without having to run cables through the house. The main modem would be in the upstairs room but i have been told theres a connector thing too downstairs (same as the one upstairs where the main modem would be installed) is it possible to have a 2nd modem of the same network installed downstairs? i know theres powerline adapters but im trying to leave that as a last resort.

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Wire == physical wire.
Cat5e ethernet cable preferably.
After that, MOCA or powerline.
so theres really no other way than powerline? im not quite sure what moca is sorry. Ive tried looking up if having 2 modems in same network is possible and ive gotten mixed answers so im not quite sure on that too.

USAFRet

Titan
so theres really no other way than powerline? im not quite sure what moca is sorry. Ive tried looking up if having 2 modems in same network is possible and ive gotten mixed answers so im not quite sure on that too.
Be careful of your terminiology.
1 "modem" per account.
The ISP talks to one and only one modem. The modem talks to one router.
Often, the modem and router are in the same physical box.

After that, you can have multiple devices. Pc, xbox, printer, another WiFI access point.

MOCA is somewhat similar to powerline, but runs through the house coax cables instead of the house electrical wires.

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Be careful of your terminiology.
1 "modem" per account.
The ISP talks to one and only one modem. The modem talks to one router.
Often, the modem and router are in the same physical box.

After that, you can have multiple devices. Pc, xbox, printer, another WiFI access point.

MOCA is somewhat similar to powerline, but runs through the house coax cables instead of the house electrical wires.

Im sorry im not that familiar with networking. So basically just one, i guess that answers my question. looks like i'll end up with powerline.

TY!