Question 2 PCI Express x16 slots, one is 3.0, the other is 2.0

Dec 29, 2019
I'd like to get an NVME PCIe adapter for my computer.

I have 2 PCIe x16 slots but one of them is only 2.0

I also have a graphics card taking up the 3.0's slot
Where should either of the graphics card and the adapter go.
Since one is 2.0, will one of them take a performance hit?

Dec 29, 2019
It's a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H rev 1.0

I haven't decided on the NVME drive yet.
There's a BIOS version going around that was made by Gigabyte that supports NVME drives as the boot drive.
The Gigabyte website only has up to "F15"

Dec 29, 2019
Various sources say that If you put a graphics card into a 2.0 slot that there will be very little performance loss.
You're saying if I put the NVME drive in the 2.0 slot that, it would be half the performance.

So should I put the gfx card in the 2.0, and put the NVME in the 3.0?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
It's a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H rev 1.0

I haven't decided on the NVME drive yet.
There's a BIOS version going around that was made by Gigabyte that supports NVME drives as the boot drive.
The Gigabyte website only has up to "F15"
Unless there is a specific BIOS update direct from Gigabyte that addresses this, for this particular motherboard, don't bother.

And even then, the actual user facing performance of an NVMe drive vs a regular SATA III drive is minimal, especially on an older motherboard.

You'll see little if any real difference, even if you do get it working.
You'd see a second or two faster boot time, if that.

Reactions: Axl Rose
Dec 29, 2019
Well that saves me a whole lot of money and time. I was hoping I could also reinstall Windows in GPT.
The gigabyte website says the mobo has Dual UEFI BIOS protection with 3TB+ HDD boot up capability

But I don't think it actually does UEFI. Could you tell me if this is the case?

Dec 29, 2019
I think I'm just going to put the graphics card in a new computer build so I can use the PCIe 3.0 slot for the NVME adapter. I only have 1 SATA III 6Gb/s connector on the motherboard so another drive that's just as fast or faster would be nice.

My follow-up question is:
Some adapters come in x4 and x16. Is there any difference if I use a x4 adapter in a x16 PCIe slot versus if I use a x16 adapter into a x16 PCIe slot?

ASK THE COMMUNITY