[SOLVED] 2 PCI Express x16 slots, one is 3.0, the other is 2.0

Axl Rose

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
I'd like to get an NVME PCIe adapter for my computer.

I have 2 PCIe x16 slots but one of them is only 2.0

I also have a graphics card taking up the 3.0's slot
Where should either of the graphics card and the adapter go.
Since one is 2.0, will one of them take a performance hit?

Solution
It's a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H rev 1.0

I haven't decided on the NVME drive yet.
There's a BIOS version going around that was made by Gigabyte that supports NVME drives as the boot drive.
The Gigabyte website only has up to "F15"
Unless there is a specific BIOS update direct from Gigabyte that addresses this, for this particular motherboard, don't bother.

And even then, the actual user facing performance of an NVMe drive vs a regular SATA III drive is minimal, especially on an older motherboard.

You'll see little if any real difference, even if you do get it working.
You'd see a second or two faster boot time, if that.

Axl Rose

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019

There's a BIOS version going around that was made by Gigabyte that supports NVME drives as the boot drive.

Axl Rose

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
Various sources say that If you put a graphics card into a 2.0 slot that there will be very little performance loss.
You're saying if I put the NVME drive in the 2.0 slot that, it would be half the performance.

So should I put the gfx card in the 2.0, and put the NVME in the 3.0?

USAFRet

Titan

Unless there is a specific BIOS update direct from Gigabyte that addresses this, for this particular motherboard, don't bother.

And even then, the actual user facing performance of an NVMe drive vs a regular SATA III drive is minimal, especially on an older motherboard.

You'll see little if any real difference, even if you do get it working.
You'd see a second or two faster boot time, if that.

Reactions: Axl Rose
Solution

Axl Rose

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
Well that saves me a whole lot of money and time. I was hoping I could also reinstall Windows in GPT.
The gigabyte website says the mobo has Dual UEFI BIOS protection with 3TB+ HDD boot up capability

But I don't think it actually does UEFI. Could you tell me if this is the case?

Axl Rose

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
I think I'm just going to put the graphics card in a new computer build so I can use the PCIe 3.0 slot for the NVME adapter. I only have 1 SATA III 6Gb/s connector on the motherboard so another drive that's just as fast or faster would be nice.

My follow-up question is:
Some adapters come in x4 and x16. Is there any difference if I use a x4 adapter in a x16 PCIe slot versus if I use a x16 adapter into a x16 PCIe slot?