banbank53

Commendable
Jan 11, 2018
I have a connect box (modem with wireless capabilities as well) with 4 ethernet ports. I just use 2 but I noticed when there's another pc connected and using the internet it causes lag for me in games. I was thinking to buy a wireless network card for the second pc since it's used just for random internet browsing. However will this eliminate my lag problem ?

Ralston18

Titan
No.

Wireless is inherently slower than wired.

The overall issue is the amount of bandwidth available. Using a slower path (wireless) to the second pc could well be counterproductive.

What make and model is your modem/router?

The router may have some ability to prioritize traffic to specific devices. Likely limited and you will need administrative rights to the modem/router to establish the necessary configuration settings.

You can easily take a look at what all is running on both pc's. There may be some background app or process using bandwidth. Check the Startup tab in Task Manager on both pcs. You may find something that is unnecessary. If unsure, just disable versus deleting.

And only one at a time in case problems occur and you need to re-enable.

banbank53

Commendable
Jan 11, 2018
I didn't buy a router, both pcs are connected to my modem's (which also has wifi, it's named Connect Box - https://www.upc.ro/internet/echipamente/connect-box/ ) ethernet ports that was given to me by my internet service provider. I know that the wireless connection is slower but that's not an issue at all. I just want to know, if I connect my second pc wirelessly to my modem, will the lag disappear ? I checked and there's no app taking bandwidth on either pc. There's no major lag. The game depends on pressing potions fast to stay alive when fighting so even a small difference in potting speed makes me lose to other people. I just want to separate the connections somehow. The game can be played on 25 mbs connection without trouble. I have 500 mbs download and 25 mbs upload speed, link speed 1000/1000 mbs.

TRENDING THREADS