2 Physical Cores Not Detected by Task Manager

Sleimi

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but this problem has been bugging me for a long time.

The issue does not lie with hyper-threading. I have a Dell Precision Workstation T7400 from 2007 with 1 Intel Xeon E5420 Quad Core clocked at 2.5 GHz, and I recently installed another Xeon E5420 with the same clock. That means 2 physical cores, 8 virtual cores.

Installation went pretty smoothly (apart from the extremely long screwdriver that I lacked for installation of the heat sink). When I booted the computer up and looked in the BIOS, voila! 2 physical cores, 8 virtual cores. I also looked into the device manager and it showed all 8 cores; however, when I open up task manager or any other program that identifies the amount of cores, I only get 4, which are the ones on the original CPU.

I've used task manager, CPU-Z from CPUID, and CPU Core Parking from Coderbag. All of them show only 4 cores. Is this merely a visual issue or is there actually something wrong?

I have provided an image link to show what I'm experiencing:

I use this as my primary desktop and also play a lot of games on it. I fear that if task manager or any other program doesn't detect all 8 cores, my games will not be able to utilize all 8 cores (more specifically, games that are even able to use 8 cores).

If anyone could enlighten me on this issue that I'm having, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Which Windows version do you have? depending on its version/license you are limited to an X amount of CPU sockets, you might be lacking the necessary one to be able to use a 2x socket solution.

Sadly I do not remember right now which one you need, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it on google.
.With each processor installed in socket 1 only, is it detected/identified within BIOS? If OS functions, check CPUz to get processor version/model/stepping, etc.,, they must match)

Assuming both function separately, do you have now have your memory split up evenly as required when running dual socket configuration? (Certain slots must be populated in mirror image, reference your mainboard manual

Which Windows version do you have? depending on its version/license you are limited to an X amount of CPU sockets, you might be lacking the necessary one to be able to use a 2x socket solution.

Sadly I do not remember right now which one you need, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it on google.

Solution

Sleimi

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I have Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.15063 Build 51063, x64-bit architecture

UPDATE: This question actually solved my question. I have Windows 10 Home, which doesn't support dual sockets. I'm upgrading to Windows 10 Pro now. Thanks!

Sleimi

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I can only see one processor in CPUz. I check my BIOS and they are there.
2 physical processors in my BIOS