Question 2 pin psu fan?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i got this budget coolermaster psu that i only tried once a few months ago and the fan was loud so i rma it and still got to keep it at the same time as i got my Money back so it was a good deal. Anybody know where to order a 2 pin fan with good quality? i tried with rewiring a 120 mm bitfenix fan but it didnt start.

Coolermaster used a fan labeld shenzen in this psu , i know its budget but still using a fan labeld shenzen is probably why it was loud. im surprised they use parts like that.

i got this budget coolermaster psu that i only tried once a few months ago and the fan was loud so i rma it and still got to keep it at the same time as i got my Money back so it was a good deal. Anybody know where to order a 2 pin fan with good quality? i tried with rewiring a 120 mm bitfenix fan but it didnt start.

Coolermaster used a fan labeld shenzen in this psu , i know its budget but still using a fan labeld shenzen is probably why it was loud. im surprised they use parts like that.

It's garbage. Throw it away.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
yeah it probably is but still maybe in a cheap build would work for a low Power system.
I dont get how they can put a fan like that in the psu it probably cost 1 dollar to make. I see similar ones on aliexpress for 1 dollar.

yeah it probably is but still maybe in a cheap build would work for a low Power system.
I dont get how they can put a fan like that in the psu it probably cost 1 dollar to make. I see similar ones on aliexpress for 1 dollar.

Because it's a cheap PSU. That fan doesn't even cost $1.

You're not going to find a fan that plugs directly into the PSU's fan controller. One should really just splice a fan into the existing connector.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i tried rewiring and start with paperclip trick but didnt work, gonna give it Another try tomorrow or i throw it away. i guess i have to be pleased with at least i got one working back from them.

Also the board was coverd in Silicon/glue very big spots is that normal?

bignastyid

Titan
It's an ancient PSU design(not even active PFC it still has a voltage switch), poor transients, poor ripple. If you have the Solytech version(FSP version is what was usually reviewed) the quality is worse and the 12v rail is smaller.

The reviews(none of which i would call good btw) I have seen are dang near a decade old, by current standards its garbage. That units has also been out of production for sometime, so even of it was new gods knows how long it's sat on a shelf.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
yeah i mean its not recommended but like i said if keeping it low load it shoud at least not take your computer out.

I changed the fan put in a coolermaster case fan and now its silent but it still seems to spin fast do you Think thats normal or could the speed controller be messed up?

yeah i mean its not recommended but like i said if keeping it low load it shoud at least not take your computer out.

I changed the fan put in a coolermaster case fan and now its silent but it still seems to spin fast do you Think thats normal or could the speed controller be messed up?

Maybe use it to power a USBcharger? Yes... it could take out your computer.

Because the PSU is built with such poor quality components, they programmed the fan controller to run the fanat a high RPM to keep temperatures low. You can change the fan in there a million times and it's not going to matter. It's the fan controller that dictates the fan speed, not the fan.

When you said "the fan was so loud", I thought you meant it was making rattling or rubbing noises or something, or it was imbalanced. These are the kinds of things you would expect from a cheap fan. If you original said that the fan was "too loud" because it spun too fast, I would say, "yeah.. that's normal."

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
ok so in this kind of low level unit they make it run full speed? no there was no vibration or clicking but it sounded like a casefan on 2000 rpm. changing it to a old coolermaster case fan
got it real silent. that is a big surprise to since all coolermaster case fans i had been loud in the case. they seem to have been real wild with the Silicon glue in it to very big spots of it.
its the last time i buy this kind of shit for sure.
In your oppinion should this even be legal to sell if the quality is that bad and could be a
fire hazard?

Last edited:
ok so in this kind of low level unit they make it run full speed? no there was no vibration or clicking but it sounded like a casefan on 2000 rpm. changing it to a old coolermaster case fan
got it real silent. that is a big surprise to since all coolermaster case fans i had been loud in the case. they seem to have been real wild with the Silicon glue in it to very big spots of it.
its the last time i buy this kind of shit for sure.
In your oppinion should this even be legal to sell if the quality is that bad and could be a
fire hazard?

If it was spinning that fast, there might have been something wrong with it. But yeah... Cheap PSUs will often have faster spinning fans because they have to keep the cheaper components cooler or they blow up. You'll see a lof the cheaper stuff will try to get away with one rectifier diode instead of two. Or two MOSFETs instead of one... because it's cheaper. But then they work harder and overheat. You'll even see a lot of the cheaper products won't even have a heatsink on a lot of the parts because "metal costs money".

Should it be legal to sell this stuff? No. But there's no oversight and it would take a class action lawsuit to stop it, but nobody is willing to initiate one!

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Thanks for the information very interesting. i thought units like the ega White , coolermaster masterwatt and so on was ok to use a few months ago but i changed my mind after getting into it some more and you guys oppinions and it helped getting some bad units to start question them.
i also found very good prices on be quiet and corsair cx series from germany so it seems like i can get them for what a evga w 500w cost here or slightly more.