2-port KVM recommendation

mtb64

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
Hi

I’m looking for a reliable KVM that can connect 2 computers to 2 monitors in an extended display setup.

Computer 1 is laptop on a docking station which has a DisplayPort 1.2 output. Computer 2 is a PC with a single DVI-I output. The 2 monitors both have DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI inputs, max res 1080p. Office use only so no gaming.
I would consider upgrading the graphics card in the PC to give a DP output.

Do I need a 2-port KVM with dual video inputs for each computer and 2 outputs? Like this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-DisplayPort-Switch-Audio/dp/B003N3BU6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458586794&sr=1-1&keywords=KVM+dual+displayport
Or are there other options using DP MST? KVM with single video input per computer and a single DisplayPort output from which I can then MST daisy chain the monitors?

This KVM puzzle has been driving me nuts. I’ve done a lot of research but I’m still not clear what my options are.

Many thanks!

mtb64

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

I'm not sure if I understand. Could you explain a bit more please?
Would it be possible to daisy chain the 2nd monitor off the one connected to a single DisplayPort KVM output?

mtb64

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

I'm not - the 2 new monitors are on order and yet to arrive - I'm still on the single old display.
Well that is a good idea! I had a niggling feeling I was missing something obvious! Think I'll replace the GPU on the PC to offer 1 or 2 DisplayPort outputs, hook up the new monitors (both have DP 1.2 in and out) and just RDP into the laptop.

Thanks James - you just saved me ££'s on unnecessary gear :)

TRENDING THREADS